Lucy UHD Rip Issues

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
spl147

Lucy UHD Rip Issues

Post by spl147 »

i have my second disc of Lucy, returned the first. US retail disc it's brand new.

ASUS BW-16D1HT
Manufactuer Date 1/17
firmware:

none of them read this disk, i have ripped several discs with this drive

anyone else have issues with this disc/drive combo?
DavVador

Re: Lucy UHD Rip Issues

Post by DavVador »

I don't have Lucy UHD, but i experienced almost same problem with another movie, i wasn't able to read my UHD BD : Independence Day.
Tried on my LG UHD friendly drive and on my Pioneer official UHD drive and none were able to read it.
I'm waiting the new disc to check if it was a defective one or if this disc has kind of "special protection"...
It would be very bad luck if you received twice a defective disc...
Nick Nickel

Post by Nick Nickel »

The German version of Lucy 4K Ultra HD works with my ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00 without pobl.
Is only the key missing or not recognized?
I've already copied a 4K UHD per copy and paste to the hard drive and made an ISO with ImgBurn.
Then MakeMKV read it.
The new keys only work with MakeMKV 1.10.10.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 12&t=16959
Nick Nickel

Post by Nick Nickel »

The German version of Lucy 4K Ultra HD works with my ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00 without pobl.
Is only the key missing or not recognized?
I've already copied a 4K UHD per copy and paste to the hard drive and made an ISO with ImgBurn.
Then MakeMKV read it.
The new keys only work with MakeMKV 1.10.10.
DavVador

Post by DavVador »

DavVador wrote:I don't have Lucy UHD, but i experienced almost same problem with another movie, i wasn't able to read my UHD BD : Independence Day.
Tried on my LG UHD friendly drive and on my Pioneer official UHD drive and none were able to read it.
I'm waiting the new disc to check if it was a defective one or if this disc has kind of "special protection"...
It would be very bad luck if you received twice a defective disc...
I just received my second disc of Independence Day from Amazon... and this disc can't be read from none of my drives (LG and Pioneer).
Neither MakeMkv, PowerDVD 17 or explorer can't read the disc or even see the disc itself.
No Disc detected at all...
DavVador

Post by DavVador »

https://forums.xbox.com/en-US/thread/33 ... 9B7A54C9AC
I've exchanged the Lucy disc twice now and tried 3 discs from 3 different stores, all fail to load.
Seems Lucy UHD disc fails on Xbox one aswell... and Oblivion seems to be a common fail too !

ArcAngel81
I'm having an issue with the Independence Day 4K Bluray disc. It just won't load. I can only see the spinning circle in the Bluray app. I've tried the same disc in my Samsung K8500 4K Bluray player and it works flawlessly.
I feel less alone :p

Fantastic Beasts seems to also have the same problem.

As Xbox one and Windows are quite the same, i think it's normal to face the same problems.
Yet i don't know if this is a software issue or hardware (drive) issue as the discs seems to work on standalone UHD players.

Solution : contact the studios and ask for a replacement
The problem with Lucy and probably Oblivion was due to Universal pressing faulty 4k Bluray discs, I originally had the problem, I had to contact Universal customer support, and they replaced my faulty Lucy disc, and the one they sent back worked fine. If you own the titles, contact universal, and they'll replace your discs.
I also received my replacement disc from Universal for "Lucy" yesterday and can confirm that works as well.
Odd because the original worked in other UHD players but Universal was aware of the issue and sent me a replacement and it wasn't a big hassle.
Anyhow I can report that both of these do work on the 1s and that a replacement directly from the studio is the way to go. If you return it to the store chances are their entire batch of discs have the issue that is causing this problem for the 1s
Last edited by DavVador on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Lucy and Oblivion are 2 i cannot get to load as well!
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

spl147 wrote:Lucy and Oblivion are 2 i cannot get to load as well!
Ill try oblivion on Sat........if it fails Mike will get a dump file
DavVador

Post by DavVador »

gereral1 wrote:
The problem for us is not a problem of key, it's that the disc won't even read or appear in explorer.
It's like if you had no disc inserted.
So a dump file wouldnt help.

Update : The problem seems to be the same as with Xbox One S

Source : https://forums.xbox.com/en-US/thread/33 ... 9B7A54C9AC
I've exchanged the Lucy disc twice now and tried 3 discs from 3 different stores, all fail to load.
Seems Lucy UHD disc fails on Xbox one aswell... and Oblivion seems to be a common fail too !
ArcAngel81
I'm having an issue with the Independence Day 4K Bluray disc. It just won't load. I can only see the spinning circle in the Bluray app. I've tried the same disc in my Samsung K8500 4K Bluray player and it works flawlessly.
I feel less alone :p

Fantastic Beasts seems to also have the same problem.

As Xbox one and Windows are quite the same, i think it's normal to face the same problems.
Yet i don't know if this is a software issue or hardware (drive) issue as the discs seems to work on standalone UHD players (from what I've read on Xbox forums).

Solution found on Xbox forums : contact the studios and ask for a replacement
The problem with Lucy and probably Oblivion was due to Universal pressing faulty 4k Bluray discs, I originally had the problem, I had to contact Universal customer support, and they replaced my faulty Lucy disc, and the one they sent back worked fine. If you own the titles, contact universal, and they'll replace your discs.
I also received my replacement disc from Universal for "Lucy" yesterday and can confirm that works as well.
Odd because the original worked in other UHD players but Universal was aware of the issue and sent me a replacement and it wasn't a big hassle.
Anyhow I can report that both of these do work on the 1s and that a replacement directly from the studio is the way to go. If you return it to the store chances are their entire batch of discs have the issue that is causing this problem for the 1s
Update 2 :
In France, many discs (The Revenant, Dead Pool, Independence Day) from The 20th Century Fox seems to be not working, from Microsoft it concerns discs made in early 2016.
Solution is to contact the fox (europe) at : europecustomercare@fox.com
More infos here in french : http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/42-1000 ... -one-s.htm
The will exchange the disc and send you a new one working.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

gereral1 wrote:
the issue is the drive reading the disc has nothing to do with MakeMKV
DavVador

Post by DavVador »

spl147 wrote:
gereral1 wrote:
the issue is the drive reading the disc has nothing to do with MakeMKV
True actually, but it could be interesting for other people to know some specific discs won't read on their drive.

ps: Sorry for my duplicate messages, it seems my messages were validated later and i thought i didn't posted them.
DrPaul

Post by DrPaul »

I cannot read US versions of Lucy, Oblivion, or Huntsman Winter's War with my ASUS 16D1HT, LG WH16NS40 ver. 1.02, or LG WH14NS40 ver 1.00.

In each case the disc is ejected and not even mounted. I'm amazed it plays in my player...

I did have 30 or so that didn't like my original drive LG WH14NS40 ver 1.00 so I bought the ASUS... that helped with most but not these 3.

I bought the LG WH16NS40 ver. 1.02 to keep as a spare and have another ASUS on order :-)
DavVador

Post by DavVador »

DrPaul wrote:I cannot read US versions of Lucy, Oblivion, or Huntsman Winter's War with my ASUS 16D1HT, LG WH16NS40 ver. 1.02, or LG WH14NS40 ver 1.00.

In each case the disc is ejected and not even mounted. I'm amazed it plays in my player...

I did have 30 or so that didn't like my original drive LG WH14NS40 ver 1.00 so I bought the ASUS... that helped with most but not these 3.

I bought the LG WH16NS40 ver. 1.02 to keep as a spare and have another ASUS on order :-)
Check my posts above, this is the same problem as with Xbox One S ;)

Solution found on Xbox forums : contact the studios and ask for a replacement
thrangster

Post by thrangster »

Also having issues with Lucy (and Oblivion)

I've ordered a new version of Lucy (and will return the old one) to see if it makes a difference and report back. If it does, I will do the same with Oblivion...

I've tried both the LG and Asus drives on the friendly list...
thrangster

Post by thrangster »

thrangster wrote:Also having issues with Lucy (and Oblivion)

I've ordered a new version of Lucy (and will return the old one) to see if it makes a difference and report back. If it does, I will do the same with Oblivion...

I've tried both the LG and Asus drives on the friendly list...
Updated the Asus to 3.02 (deemed "safe" here) that allowed me to rip Oblivion, but not Lucy

New copy of Lucy, ripped without issue on the same 3.02 drive...and fast, up to 31 M/s for a good portion of the rip.

So if firmware updates can help read discs, but we can't go past 3.02 becuase of the AACS2 issue, what's the long term viability for ripping? Or will software like MakeMKV eventually be able to trick the drive into reading discs?