How to Convert MKV to M2TS

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ghost rider

How to Convert MKV to M2TS

Post by ghost rider »

When I play UHD MKV backups from a HDD my Sony ubp-x800 will not decode the HD audio streams. It was suggested to get a Nvidea Shield and play from that so I got one and yes it plays the audio correctly but because I have a 1080P set the 4k HDR video looks all washed out. It was also suggested elsewhere to get a Oppo UDP 203 but the more I read I have concerns it will do the same thing.

So I have read multiple places that M2TS files are decoded correctly. I tried googling and everything is commercial products like Wondershare video converter and it does not seem like an option. Makemkv seems like the best decrypting option at this point and if I can simply convert the MKV files to M2TS without and loss in quality I think I will be good.
preserve

Re: How to Convert MKV to M2TS

Post by preserve »

.m2ts is the native file format of Blu-ray/UHD audio/video stream files.

Use MakeMKV's disc backup function and check the "decrypt" checkbox.

Navigate the backup directory and get the .m2ts files from /BDMV/STREAM
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

preserve wrote:.m2ts is the native file format of Blu-ray/UHD audio/video stream files.

Use MakeMKV's disc backup function and check the "decrypt" checkbox.

Navigate the backup directory and get the .m2ts files from /BDMV/STREAM
Thanks it looks like its working takes about 40 min to rip. So when its done I'll test it out. I think this will work but the backup file size will likely be bigger.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Not sure this is going to work. For the Martian it gives me 155 M2TS files and way to play them seamlessly from HDD. Is there a way to convert the MKV file to 1 M2TS file?
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

I don't think your going to be able to view HDR content on a non-HDR TV without it looking washed out. It's just not going to look right.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Low Winter Sun wrote:I don't think your going to be able to view HDR content on a non-HDR TV without it looking washed out. It's just not going to look right.
No if I play it from the Sony player it looks great. It's a limitation of the Shield.
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

I use tsMuxerGUI to create M2TS files from MKVs when I need them. I haven't found anything else (at least for Mac) that can create a M2TS from an MKV. The only time I use M2TS is for Adobe Premiere. It won't read MKV and seems to be pretty picky about what it will read.

I hope this helps.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

BigPines wrote:I use tsMuxerGUI to create M2TS files from MKVs when I need them. I haven't found anything else (at least for Mac) that can create a M2TS from an MKV. The only time I use M2TS is for Adobe Premiere. It won't read MKV and seems to be pretty picky about what it will read.

I hope this helps.
I tried this and it didn't work for uhd movie's. It's a non issue now because I bought a Oppo udp 203 and it decodes the DTSX and Atmos files from MKV. So now I can use makemkv to rip movie only backups.