Anyone know why some UHD discs contain two Titles?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
thinksinc

Anyone know why some UHD discs contain two Titles?

Post by thinksinc »

I've ripped dozens of UHDs now, and have a list of several titles that contain two seemingly identical Title tracks. Usually [MovieName]_T00 and _T01.

I assumed that _T00 is by default the correct Title to rip, but it always makes me worried that there's a second identical Title on the disc. The runtimes are always the same, so it's not something as simple as a Theatrical and Unrated cut on the same disc.

Then I noticed on one title (I can't remember which) that either MakeMKV or deUHD identified one title as being the HDR version! I doubt that all HDR movies contain both the HDR and non-HDR versions on the disc, but for those that do, now I'm worried I might have ripped the non-HDR version. I haven't upgraded to a 4K TV yet (just preparing my library in advance), so I have no idea how to check if the titles I ripped are HDR, unless someone can recommend a Mac-compatible utility that can provide that information.

FWIW, here's the list of titles I have so far that yielded two seemingly-identical Titles on the disc:

Alien Covenant T01.mkv
Blade_Runner_The_Final_Cut_t01.mkv
Bram Stoker's Dracula T02.mkv
Creed_t02.mkv
Dunkirk_t01.mkv
Everest T01.mkv
Inception_t01.mkv
Independence Day T03.mkv
IT_t01.mkv
Life_of_Pi_t01.mkv
LOGAN_NOIR_t01.mkv
Pacific_Rim_t01.mkv
Sully T02.mkv
The Martian - Extended Edition T01.mkv

Thanks for any insights.

-R
Last edited by thinksinc on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmonier

Re: Anyone know why some UHD discs contain two Titles?

Post by jmonier »

I've wondered the same thing. So far, I've ripped:

Flight of the Butterflies
Interstellar
Life of Pi
Sully
The Great Gatsby

Of those, ONLY Interstellar has only one title. The Great Gatsby has three.

Mostly the extra titles seem identical, even as to size, and the MediaInfo report shows no differences. They all appear to have HDR, Media Info shows BT2020 and P3 with exactly the same constants.

The middle on The Great Gatsby (t05) is slightly different: 50 mb larger and 65.9 Mb/s bit rate vs 65.8. Otherwise, the MediaInfo report is identical.

Flight of the Butterflies has HDR (BT2020 and P3) and non-HDR (BT709) versions. The HDR version is 3 gb larger.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
jmonier

Post by jmonier »

Thanks, preserve. Your info seems to be essentially correct, although for what I've got, the title with Japanese can be either the first or the last. But, as you say, for English it doesn't matter which you use.

For The Great Gatsby, the middle title (t05) seems to be the same as the first title, except that certain written material is in German rather than English. This is similar to Disney animated films where the the different versions have the titles in different languages. For Gatsby, however, the titles are still in English and it's only some other material that is changed.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Yes, with the Japanese audio, the order can be either way.

Ah, that's very interesting about the Great Gatsby - don't have that disc (yet) - I guess it happens a few times with releases other than Disney.

Independence Day Resurgence with two playlists with a difference in the flags :)
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00