UHD ripping to external drive

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
fljoemon

UHD ripping to external drive

Post by fljoemon »

Just curious .. anyone ripping to an external USB3 hard drive .. any issues?

I am asking this as I do not have a free slot available to plug in an internal drive and would like to connect an external USB3.0 drive and have MakeMKV rip directly to the external drive. Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: UHD ripping to external drive

Post by Woodstock »

If the operating system supports writing to the drive, then it should not be a problem.

Sometimes I suggest people use a USB flash drive to limit the ripping speed when they have an optical drive that can't deal with running at full speed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mmmkv

Post by mmmkv »

I do this and haven't experienced any problems.
aaronwt

Post by aaronwt »

fljoemon wrote:Just curious .. anyone ripping to an external USB3 hard drive .. any issues?

I am asking this as I do not have a free slot available to plug in an internal drive and would like to connect an external USB3.0 drive and have MakeMKV rip directly to the external drive. Thanks!
I'm using a USB 2.0 external enclosure with an Asus drive in it. So far the fastest speed I've see while ripping a UHD BD was 30 MB/s(240 Mb/s). When I ripped the triple Layer Blade Runner 2049 UHD BD last night. But I only just flashed my Asus drive yesterday to be able to read UHD BDs. So I've only ripped four titles so far. With only one being a triple layer title.
63TB unRAID1-49TB unRAID2-76TB unRAID3-56TB unRAID4-50TB unRAID5-50TB unRAID6-56TB unRAID7