Problem with The Fifth Element and The Last Jedi

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Kerwin

Problem with The Fifth Element and The Last Jedi

Post by Kerwin »

First, some background: I'm using Plex to manage my 4K collection along with my regular Bluray collection. I've successfully ripped all three new Star Trek movies, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, Thor: Ragnarok, Creed, Wonder Woman. For playback, I'm using the Plex app on my LG OLED65B6P. These movies play perfectly.

I've been working on the Fifth Element and the Last Jedi, but haven't had much luck. I've ripped both discs successfully with no errors, but when I try to play back on Plex, it just times out. I've tried washing the discs. I've purchased new discs and still the same result. Is there anything else I can try?
st4evr

Re: Problem with The Fifth Element and The Last Jedi

Post by st4evr »

1. This is the MakeMKV forum for MakeMKV support not the Plex application forum. Since there are no errors being returned by MakeMKV it does not sound to be a problem with MakeMKV. Have you tried Plex support or forums to see if anyone else has had issues with these using that app?

2. To narrow down the problem further, have you tried the next logical step of attempting playback of the ripped file(s) in any other media player on any other hardware at all to see what happens?
Kerwin

Post by Kerwin »

To answer your questions:
1. Nothing but crickets.
2. Seems to play fine in VLC except for it being super dim because of the HDR10/no tone mapping in VLC.
Kerwin

Post by Kerwin »

The culprit was in fact the LG Plex app. I bought an Apple TV 4K and both rips played just fine.