Attention. Ver 2.1 protection out

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
gereral1

Re: Attention. Ver 2.1 protection out

Post by gereral1 »

platinumjsi wrote:Ok so excuse the potentially dumb comment here, just want to check with the new phone home protection does this mean either:

If I play the disc in a player here then rip it and then watch the rip I can get boned?

Or what I assume is right :

If I play the disc here, then rip it, share the rip online I can get boned because the authorities will check the rip, see the ID and be able to trace it back to my IP due to my player phoning home?
Yes and yes. Unless you use vlc or madvr or top box with those type Apps. If you use bluwray player with platter it may try to send out to fmts server. If you share movie and fmts workers download your shared movie they can run their special software on it and pass your info onto FBI if they seem your file is deemed a risk. There going after the guys who share tons of movies on torrents. If Blu-ray player is not connected to internet you might be fine but if fmts is in the players firmware it may store illegal info in a file and when it detects a wifi or either net connection it may pass the info onto fmts server later.... Personally I would only use PC with mad vr and mpcbe. Buy your movies guys. It's the right thing to do.
BobbyDig

Post by BobbyDig »

So, in theory, could a SmartTV be given updated firmware that adds this AACS 2.1 forensic mark reporting "feature"? I mean, if they could get the TV people onboard, they could catch any and all rips being played via any port of entry (USB, HDMI IN, BLU RAY INPUT)...right? They already have been doing stuff like that with our data via TVs anyhow.

Also, is this AACS 2.1 stuff just for UHD content or is it going to be on BOTH 1080 and 4k forthcoming releases? :cry:
Psilox

Post by Psilox »

BobbyDig wrote:So, in theory, could a SmartTV be given updated firmware that adds this AACS 2.1 forensic mark reporting "feature"? I mean, if they could get the TV people onboard, they could catch any and all rips being played via any port of entry (USB, HDMI IN, BLU RAY INPUT)...right? They already have been doing stuff like that with our data via TVs anyhow.

Also, is this AACS 2.1 stuff just for UHD content or is it going to be on BOTH 1080 and 4k forthcoming releases? :cry:
In theory, yes, the TV itself could detect the watermark. Of course, the expense to add such protection, and the lack of incentive to do so would be an obstacle.

This also assumes there isn't a way to remove, or otherwise filter out the "watermark" on the content. If it's in the video stream itself, and it's detectable by someone or something that is viewing the recording, there's clearly a way to remove it (if I can see it, I can "paint over it.") This type of solution doesn't seem extremely practical to me. There could be ways to obfuscate it, or make it more resistant to removal, but so long as the mark is distinguishable from the film, it can be removed.

Honestly, maybe one day the MPAA and Co. will figure out that they're just putting out the people who support them by buying the damn Blu-rays (i.e. the power users who likely want to back up their movies and play them on multiple different devices), and not doing much to deter actual pirates.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Anyone else notice with 1.12.3 you can now scan fury and it creates a dump? i sent mine in already
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

i just thought i would chip in from sidelines.I too have noticed that i could make a dump file for the patriot.I dont want to get my hopes up to quick but if its indeed true that this can be ripped successfully I will be one happy camper.To date everything in the way of UHD that I have thrown at my hard drive courtesy of Alex :) everything has copied successfully.its really been a enjoyable year so far.
TheSound

Post by TheSound »

Hi all, reading all this i find it a bit confusing to understand the current status..

Does makemkv support 2.1 right now?

And what is trying to "talk home"? The user friendly uhd drive from an online connected pc?

I mean, if an mkv is created and played with online connected lets say kodi from a media player, personal data will transfered somewhere?
spl147

Post by spl147 »

TheSound wrote:Hi all, reading all this i find it a bit confusing to understand the current status..

And what is trying to "talk home"? The user friendly uhd drive from an online connected pc?

I mean, if an mkv is created and played with online connected lets say kodi from a media player, personal data will transfered somewhere?
Does makemkv support 2.1 right now? Still Unclear

And what is trying to "talk home"? The user friendly uhd drive from an online connected pc? from what i understand new discs with AACS2.1 (fury, The Patriot) that employ the new encryption, can phone home not the drive.

I mean, if an mkv is created and played with online connected lets say kodi from a media player, personal data will transfered somewhere? NO, only with a improperly ripped AACS2.1 Disc

please correct me if i responded incorrectly
ryley

Post by ryley »

TheSound wrote:Hi all, reading all this i find it a bit confusing to understand the current status..

There is no code or functionality in Kodi, VLC or any other open source media player that will transmit your information to the AACS LA or movie studios upon playing back a ripped disc. Once a disc is ripped to an MKV file, it's just a video file. It can't run code or "phone home".
xmenw

Post by xmenw »

ryley wrote:

There is no code or functionality in Kodi, VLC or any other open source media player that will transmit your information to the AACS LA or movie studios upon playing back a ripped disc. Once a disc is ripped to an MKV file, it's just a video file. It can't run code or "phone home".
What about a decrypted full disc backup?
TheSound

Post by TheSound »

Following what i read here, it should be no issue, just extracting the main movie .m2ts after that, right?
spl147

Post by spl147 »

xmenw wrote:
ryley wrote:

What about a decrypted full disc backup?
the ONLY software that can decrypt AACS2.1 that i know of is DeUHD, and they remove the embeded personal data, So they say.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

ryley wrote:

AACS 2.1 has the code to phone home embedded into the video itself! doesnt matter if the player does or not. thats the point of AACS 2.1. no matter what container you put it in, it's still there unless the software you ripped it with removes it!

read the AACS 2.1 spec
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'm confused - "code in the video itself" would STILL require something in the playback software to RUN that code. Absent that, it's a data packet that is ignored by the player.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Woodstock wrote:I'm confused - "code in the video itself" would STILL require something in the playback software to RUN that code. Absent that, it's a data packet that is ignored by the player.
The way i understand it, it does not matter
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Cinavia is another kind of copy protection that is "in the video", and yet it matters naught when played on anything EXCEPT an "official Blu-ray specification" player.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging