Saving Private Ryan - Flickering video work around fix

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
adamthefilmfan

Saving Private Ryan - Flickering video work around fix

Post by adamthefilmfan »

Hi all

First, thanks to kkienle for putting the basic info on another post. I've managed to complete the instructions he/she provided but thought some further clarification might be helpful to others who want to enjoy Saving Private Ryan in Dolby Vision but without the flickering and unstable picture quality!

This does work:

Read ALL the way through before trying this!
1. Rip the disc via the MakeMKV backup function (tick "decrypt video") into a folder structure. Do not click on the disc in MakeMKV and open it for processing as usual as this will result in the option to backup the disc being greyed out.
2. Open the movie playlist with latest version of DGDemux (don't tick any of the checkboxes). Select the main film title (ie 00800.mpls … 21 chapters) and click “Demux”). You'll get separate files for all audio and subtitle tracks (and chapters), as well as two separate video (.hevc) files. Rename the large video file to "BL.hevc" and the small one to "EL.hevc".
3. Place the latest version of dovi_tool in D:\ (or your preferred root directory) and copy the BL and EL files to the same folder.
3. Open Command Prompt and type: d: (or your preferred root directory where you have placed the dovi_tool application and the BL / EL hevc files)
4. Then type .\dovi_tool.exe
5. To extract the RPU from the EL:
6. Code: Select all (ignore!)
7. Copy and paste the following and hit enter: dovi_tool -m 2 extract-rpu -i EL.hevc -o RPU.bin
8. Inject the RPU into the BL:
9. Code: Select all (ignore!)
10. Copy and paste the following and hit enter: dovi_tool inject-rpu -i BL.hevc -r RPU.bin -o final.hevc
11. Copy the final.hevc video file back to the MKV film backup folder and then remux with MKVToolNix, together with the audio, subtitle and chapter tracks generated by DGDemux as you wish.

You need to make sure that the dovi_tool application is in the same folder as the BL and EL hevc files that you access via Command Prompt. Make sure to have a lot of free disk space as the main video file is large and needs to be copied several times.