Mandolorian Season 2 Disc 1 rip errors

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
sephirothkefka

Mandolorian Season 2 Disc 1 rip errors

Post by sephirothkefka »

I recently got Mando S2 on Amazon and annoyingly Disc 1 seem to have issues when trying to rip the second episode. I purchased 2 copies and they both fail at the exact same spot. Here's the error.

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00672.m2ts' at offset '10375329792'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '10375329792'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '10375329792'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00672.m2ts' at offset '10375329792'
Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (140)' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00672.m2ts' at offset '10375329792'
Failed to save title 1 to file D:/Videos/The Mandalorian/The Mandalorian - S2E2.mkv

Is there any reason why both discs would fail in the exact same spot? Disc 2 ripped perfectly so I'm unsure whats going on.
makememe

Re: Mandolorian Season 2 Disc 1 rip errors

Post by makememe »

Same here, s2d1. stops at 9122M every time. Trying my third drive, but it appears to be a failed portion of the disc. I am lucky in that this stop only messed with one episode. not sure how I will proceed with walmart, not amazon for my purchase.
sephirothkefka

Post by sephirothkefka »

I tried it again with my replacement copy and it passed just fine at the same spot after lowering the buffer from auto to 64MB. It failed after 2 attempts but marched on. I'm keeping an eye on it right now but its definitely very strange indeed.
htfancub

Post by htfancub »

Same issue here at same place. Trying on my first copy from BB and fails in exactly the same spot. I tried adjusting the buffer, but it dies in that same spot regardless of what it is set to.

Is there another adjustment we can make to get this to run through, although sounds like an issue with the disc itself and even with a replacement - likely the same issue.
logic

Post by logic »

Same problem here, with zero imperfections in the disc that I could see. I tried lowering the buffer size to see if it could get past the problem area, and that failed again, same place as everyone else.

Before I saw this thread, I had already ordered a replacement; I'll test the second copy when it arrives tomorrow to see if it has the same problem, but it's sounding like this is a broader manufacturing defect.
sephirothkefka

Post by sephirothkefka »

I wonder if someone can try to play the 2nd episode in a proper player to see if its fine. I also wonder if a dump submitted was screwey in someway thats affecting our copies. I suspect its MKV as copying the file before MakeMKV/AnyDVD was involved worked flawlessly. It only happens when MakeMKV/AnyDVD itself tried to read the disc
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

This disc was a pain in the ass to rip even in my Pioneer drives. I tried twice in my S13U and could not get it to rip then I ended up using my 212U and after a bunch of retries was finally able to get a clean read. This is after cleaning the disc. I've no idea what kind of poor manufacturing job they did on this one but damn it sucked. It's not an easy one to read.
sephirothkefka

Post by sephirothkefka »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:55 pm
This disc was a pain in the ass to rip even in my Pioneer drives. I tried twice in my S13U and could not get it to rip then I ended up using my 212U and after a bunch of retries was finally able to get a clean read. This is after cleaning the disc. I've no idea what kind of poor manufacturing job they did on this one but damn it sucked. It's not an easy one to read.
I have a 211 which should be similar to your 212 and i also needed to keep retrying with my disc. Hopefully there can be some sort of closure to this soon.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

sephirothkefka wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:57 pm
I have a 211 which should be similar to your 212 and i also needed to keep retrying with my disc. Hopefully there can be some sort of closure to this soon.
I was creating a protected ISO, which I always do to ensure I can read the entire disc when I buy them, with ImgBurn and the first few tries with the S13U just failed. Finally after switching to my 212U, and 4 retries in the middle of the disc, it was able to give me a valid protected ISO read. It's a triple layer disc that's crammed full so in general they are a pain in the ass. But the Pioneers don't usually have too many issues. This was a first for me and seriously points to a potential MFG issue with that particular disc.
logic

Post by logic »

Since the Pioneer 212U wasn't working, I tried with an Asus BW-16D1HT I had lying around, and while the failure mode was slightly different (device timeout errors rather than uncorrectable medium errors like my pioneer drive was throwing), the failure still happens at the same spot (offset 10375329792, 9122.4M output size) and eventually gives up.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Try what I did. Enable libredrive with makemkv by opening the disc to the title selection screen. Then load imgburn and read it to iso. I'd try with the pio. It'll retry a bunch of times when it gets a read error but maybe it'll get a clean read after a few read retries.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

logic

Post by logic »

No luck, imgburn also seems to hate it (at least with the 212U). Might retry with the BW-16D1HT when I get a few minutes later.
sephirothkefka

Post by sephirothkefka »

Quick update again as far as playing it on an actual player. After playing the disc in the rough area of where it is (around half way through the episode) it seems fine on by UB9000. I might try my PS5 or Xbox Series X soon and see if it has its own errors but i have my doubts
logic

Post by logic »

I received my replacement copy today, and it ripped perfectly on the first try: no errors at all. Even did a full-disc decrypting backup just to be sure there weren't any other questionable sectors, and no issues whatsoever.

So, uh... given that we all had the same issue at the exact same position on the disc: manufacturing fail for a batch of them, maybe?
sephirothkefka

Post by sephirothkefka »

logic wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:21 am
I received my replacement copy today, and it ripped perfectly on the first try: no errors at all. Even did a full-disc decrypting backup just to be sure there weren't any other questionable sectors, and no issues whatsoever.

So, uh... given that we all had the same issue at the exact same position on the disc: manufacturing fail for a batch of them, maybe?
Where did you get your disc? It's def possible there was a bad batch in that case then.