DV ripping with MakeMKV

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
kaledi

DV ripping with MakeMKV

Post by kaledi »

I've been using MakeMKV for some time and successfully ripping my 4K BR including those with DV HDR to mkv files and playing these back via a Shield TV pro (2019).
I've just purchased a Fire TV Stick 4K mkv and the same files don't play (via Emby), and I've now discovered the complexity of DV profiles and playback.
There is a lot of info in these forums, but I struggling to find concise and up to date info, so forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere.
1. Does MakeMkv rip DV tracks as dual track dual layer, or single track dual layer profile 7?
2. Related to above, are there options for how MakeMKV rips DV layers I should be aware of?
3. I believe that to improve compatibility of DV files, I need to convert profile 8 and there are tools available to do this (dovi_tool)
4. I've read that removing FEL in that process is a good thing as it isn't used by players?
MartyMcNuts

Re: DV ripping with MakeMKV

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kaledi wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:27 pm
I've been using MakeMKV for some time and successfully ripping my 4K BR including those with DV HDR to mkv files and playing these back via a Shield TV pro (2019).
I've just purchased a Fire TV Stick 4K mkv and the same files don't play (via Emby), and I've now discovered the complexity of DV profiles and playback.
There is a lot of info in these forums, but I struggling to find concise and up to date info, so forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere.
1. Does MakeMkv rip DV tracks as dual track dual layer, or single track dual layer profile 7?
2. Related to above, are there options for how MakeMKV rips DV layers I should be aware of?
3. I believe that to improve compatibility of DV files, I need to convert profile 8 and there are tools available to do this (dovi_tool)
4. I've read that removing FEL in that process is a good thing as it isn't used by players?
You would be better off asking your questions in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602 You should get some answers there.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
kaledi

Re: DV ripping with MakeMKV

Post by kaledi »

thanks