Kodi 21

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
htpc_rookie

Kodi 21

Post by htpc_rookie »

I started my Nvidia Shield Pro on Saturday morning and Kodi had updated to Kodi 21 (I don’t download beta versions so this is the official release).
My uncompressed files with Dolby Vision (courtesy of MakeMkv) now display the “Dolby Vision” indication on my LG tv, something it hadn’t done before.
I did have a mp4 demo file that played fine but a conversion to mkv using mkvtoolnix made it unwatchable. (Even this mp4 file was unwatchable using certain hardware/ software combos). The mkv conversion now plays ok with Nvidia/ Kodi which it didn’t do before.
I need to try a few more files to see whether all files will enjoy this and to ponder whether the DV is decoding optimally. First glance: it looks a bit soft. There is a good chance someone will come along and tell me it isn’t decoding right!
EventDriven

Re: Kodi 21

Post by EventDriven »

Thanks for the report! I'll have to give it a try. I love my Nvidia Shield Pro and have had it for quite awhile and while I still use it, I ended up switching over to a Zidoo for watching MKVs from my NAS. Kodi is a much better scraper and more full-featured than the Zidoo but the Zidoo does a good job with Dolby Vision and HDR 10+, handles automatic framerate switching better than the Shield, and the UI is certainly adequate although not as good as Kodi's. The Zidoo is really only meant for watching your own videos and while you can sideload apps like Netflix and YouTube onto it, it's not really meant to do that, so it's not a Shield replacement imo.