Dvd/Bluray ripping machine parts selection

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
86turbodsl

Dvd/Bluray ripping machine parts selection

Post by 86turbodsl »

I have my NAS setup, and i am going to be building a ripping machine for the rack. I have space for 6 5.25 drives in a rack mounted case. I know from reading that drive selection is very important and that some drives can't read some disks. I will be using mostly makemkv, and i'm not afraid to flash drives.

With all that said, should i be looking at all the same drive off the UHD list, or a mix or ? Suggestions? Anything to stay away from? i just read that the non-slim drives are the new preferred. i can't use those sadly. have to stay full height internals. Interface to server will be over sata expander to a hba. No usb.
dcoke22

Re: Dvd/Bluray ripping machine parts selection

Post by dcoke22 »

Pioneer drives are the most highly regarded these days. Unfortunately a recent Pioneer firmware update disables MakeMKV's ability to rip UHDs on those drives. The sellers on this forum have access to Pioneer drives with older, working firmware and are your best bet to get a Pioneer.

Personally, I have four drives; 2 different Pioneer drives and 2 different non-Pioneer drives. I have acquired them all at different times. In my experience at least one of my drives has been able to rip troublesome discs. I very rarely end up with a disc that I can't rip.
My Pioneer drives are the most likely to rip a troublesome disc so in my experience, I concur with Pioneer drives being the best.

Part of me believes that there's value in having a little variety in ripping hardware, but I can't back up my assertion with data. It makes sense to me that different hardware/firmware might behave differently with a troublesome disc. There are others here with more experience than me that might have a different point of view.