ROM version 1.03
Built January 2018

I'm hosed yes?
Correct.

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17058
B17NNS

Re: UHD drives

Post by B17NNS »

B17NNS wrote:Mine has just arrived. Manufactured September 2017. Haven't got an enclosure yet but will this work out of the box?
Happy to report the enclosure arrived this morning.

Installed the drive and the firmware is 3.01

Successfully opened and ripped Dunkirk :)
Sevenfeet

Post by Sevenfeet »

I ordered a ASUS BW-16D1HT from Newegg and it came today. Manufactured in May 2017, it came with firmware 3.01. I have a mostly Mac household so I used a SATA-USB adapter for a quick check to see if it would work with MakeMKV 1.12.0 on Mac OS X 10.13.4. I just ripped Blade Runner 2049 UHD and with no problems. I'll order a USB 3.0 enclosure for this drive soon to give it a permanent home.
Joe333x

Post by Joe333x »

I installed a ASUS BW-16D1HT in my HTPC, the drive works but I was wondering if anyone else has an issue where after every time i wake the pc from standby the drive makes a sound like its searching for a disc, this drive is probably the loudest drive ive ever had also. Do i have a dud and should exchange or is this just the nature of the drive?
https://youtu.be/ng-6GxVrsoU
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Joe333x wrote:I installed a ASUS BW-16D1HT in my HTPC, the drive works but I was wondering if anyone else has an issue where after every time i wake the pc from standby the drive makes a sound like its searching for a disc, this drive is probably the loudest drive ive ever had also. Do i have a dud and should exchange or is this just the nature of the drive?
https://youtu.be/ng-6GxVrsoU
Known problem on certain drives/setups. You can Google to find out more.

People have had some luck with upgrading to “clean” firmware and helps or resolves the noise issue. By “clean” I mean FW from this thread:

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=15

And NOT directly from ASUS and NOT upgrading to 3.03. Have a FULL understanding of what you are doing before you upgrade.
Joe333x

Post by Joe333x »

Thank you I will try that!
ripem

Post by ripem »

does any one have ASUS BW-16D1HT with e-green M disc on the front tray able to read UHD with firmware 3.02 thanks
kegobeer

Post by kegobeer »

ripem wrote:does any one have ASUS BW-16D1HT with e-green M disc on the front tray able to read UHD with firmware 3.02 thanks
I do. Came with 3.02 and couldn't read any UHD discs. I followed TeddyRaspin's guide and have a clean 3.02 that's reading Justice League UHD right now.
ripem

Post by ripem »

kegobeer wrote:
ripem wrote:does any one have ASUS BW-16D1HT with e-green M disc on the front tray able to read UHD with firmware 3.02 thanks
I do. Came with 3.02 and couldn't read any UHD discs. I followed TeddyRaspin's guide and have a clean 3.02 that's reading Justice League UHD right now.

what cpu do you have i read you have to have Kaby Lake not sure if this is true but i put in 301 302 clean and would not read any cd's untill i put back the firmware that came with it but still not UHD
kegobeer

Post by kegobeer »

ripem wrote:
kegobeer wrote:

what cpu do you have i read you have to have Kaby Lake not sure if this is true but i put in 301 302 clean and would not read any cd's untill i put back the firmware that came with it but still not UHD
You don't need a Kaby Lake processor for ripping. I have a Xeon E3-1275V3 processor in my server and it works great. Did you follow the directions exactly: did you dump your firmware and then use a hex editor to customize a clean firmware, then flash it back? You have to follow the instructions exactly, otherwise your drive won't work.
ripem

Post by ripem »

thanks for the reply never did that but got it working i used dosflash this time with 3.00 bin and all is good i am now decrypting warcraft UHD thanks for the help save alot of money not having to buy new motherboard and cpu
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

OK here's my good deed for the day:

Fry's in Palo Alto, CA, the original location I believe, has 19, er, make that 17 now, of the LG WH16NS40 svc code 50, internal drive, on the shelf, all manufactured 2016/17, all of them have 1.02, making them friendly right out of the non existent box they come in.

Now normally I would go buy the rest of them and sell them off here, however, if you sign up for a Fry's "promo code" email, hopefully they will send you the WEEKLY personalized promo code (came out on Sunday). It came out on Sunday and is good for the entire week. This code will save you $25 off the $80 price tag so $55 plus possibly free shipping. I've used two different promo codes and they know me there so I can only get em for $80 but of course I can verify what's loaded on them.

Actually, scratch that, I had em pull up their stock and it said 19 and I found them all. When I ordered one the other day online, for store pickup, they had pulled it out of that stock. So you'd be safe ordering one online and you should be sent the WEEKLY promo code as well as daily ones.

If money is no object and you don't care to sign up I'm happy to go over and buy one for you and ship it to you, but $55 is a pretty sweet deal and you get to skip the flashing.

So there's my good deed for the day. Oh shit, it is free shipping, here's what you want: https://www.frys.com/product/8297336?si ... IN_RSLT_PG

The drive actually has the MDISC to the right of the LG logo which is centered on the drive door, with the blu ray logo to the right of it, so what's pictured is not what you'll actually receive, but the model number, firmware version, and svc code will check out.

So to the fellow who was asking me about an extra earlier, save yourself some cashish and order one online. Any problems hit me at my username here AT gmail dot com.

Alex
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:OK here's my good deed for the day:

Fry's in Palo Alto, CA, the original location I believe, has 19, er, make that 17 now, of the LG WH16NS40 svc code 50, internal drive, on the shelf, all manufactured 2016/17, all of them have 1.02, making them friendly right out of the non existent box they come in.

Now normally I would go buy the rest of them and sell them off here, however, if you sign up for a Fry's "promo code" email, hopefully they will send you the WEEKLY personalized promo code (came out on Sunday). It came out on Sunday and is good for the entire week. This code will save you $25 off the $80 price tag so $55 plus possibly free shipping. I've used two different promo codes and they know me there so I can only get em for $80 but of course I can verify what's loaded on them.

Actually, scratch that, I had em pull up their stock and it said 19 and I found them all. When I ordered one the other day online, for store pickup, they had pulled it out of that stock. So you'd be safe ordering one online and you should be sent the WEEKLY promo code as well as daily ones.

If money is no object and you don't care to sign up I'm happy to go over and buy one for you and ship it to you, but $55 is a pretty sweet deal and you get to skip the flashing.

So there's my good deed for the day. Oh shit, it is free shipping, here's what you want: https://www.frys.com/product/8297336?si ... IN_RSLT_PG

The drive actually has the MDISC to the right of the LG logo which is centered on the drive door, with the blu ray logo to the right of it, so what's pictured is not what you'll actually receive, but the model number, firmware version, and svc code will check out.

So to the fellow who was asking me about an extra earlier, save yourself some cashish and order one online. Any problems hit me at my username here AT gmail dot com.

Alex
Thank you Alex .. I ordered one online .. hopefully I get it for a warehouse that has the 1.02 firmware.
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

Thank You Alex for posting .. I did order the LG drive from Fry's with the coupon, so $54.99 and free shipping. I hope I get a drive with the friendly firmware since I do not know which warehouse this drive will be shipped from. Else I will need to find a old PC and flash it with the friendly firmware following Teddy's guide that has been posted. This forum is amazing and thanks to all members who respond and help us.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

fljoemon wrote:Thank You Alex for posting .. I did order the LG drive from Fry's with the coupon, so $54.99 and free shipping. I hope I get a drive with the friendly firmware since I do not know which warehouse this drive will be shipped from. Else I will need to find a old PC and flash it with the friendly firmware following Teddy's guide that has been posted. This forum is amazing and thanks to all members who respond and help us.
I was thinking if you chose the Palo Alto location as "My Store" maybe they'd take it out of their stock but maybe that's naive thinking....

Definitely let me know how it works out!