UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
st4evr

Re: UHD drives

Post by st4evr »

XDUDE3D wrote:Just received a ASUS BW-16D1HT but manufactured January 2018 (3.02).....

Anyway I can salvage this? Or is another buy'n'hope it?.... :(
See this thread.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 16&t=17058
Newbliss

Post by Newbliss »

I thought the 3.02 FW worked though? I'm having the same issue of January 2018 manufacture date 3.02 FW but no discs or reading. Might just be bad luck with discs having different keys. Anyone know if there is truly no hope for my drive?
XDUDE3D

Post by XDUDE3D »

Haha, Thanks! I already stumbeled onto that, got my drive reflashed clean to 3.02 and currently have passengers UHD going just fine! Thanks again!

And anyone else with my same issue, the above linked topic IS THE ANSWER. :D
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Newbliss wrote:I thought the 3.02 FW worked though? I'm having the same issue of January 2018 manufacture date 3.02 FW but no discs or reading. Might just be bad luck with discs having different keys. Anyone know if there is truly no hope for my drive?
See this thread.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 12&t=17313

Clarifies a bit on some of the issues discovered/discussed so far with "newer" 3.02 firmware now shipped with those drives.
tapidlittle

Post by tapidlittle »

I have a LG BU40N which seems to be an official reader.
Any idea if it will ever be supported?

DEUHD says it's supported but I tried it and it won't work. :(

Also someone here claim he his able to revert an official reader to a friendly reader, what about that?

thanks.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

That is entirely up to Mike.

Because DeUHD currently supports some official UHD drives does not mean MakeMKV (or other similar apps for that matter) will also support them. Different apps, different development, different developers, and their aproach may vary even though they are all aiming towards the same goal.

Mike has said that at some point one or more official UHD drives may be supported by MakeMKV as he is working on something. When will that be officially released? Only he knows. All we can do is patiently wait until the release of this version is announced and available for download/purchase.

As for the conversion you speak of. Some have been successful and others not so much. You’ll have to decide whether you feel comfortable to give that method a try or not.
Last edited by st4evr on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapidlittle

Post by tapidlittle »

st4evr wrote:That is entirely up to Mike.

Because DeUHD currently supports some official UHD drives does not mean MakeMKV (or other similar apps for that matter) will also support them. Different apps, different development, different developers, and their aproach may vary even though they are all aiming towards the same goal.

Mike has said that at some point one of more official UHD drives may be supported by MakeMKV as he is working on something. When will that be officially realeased? Only he knows. All we can do is patiently wait until the release of this version is announced and available for download/purchase.

As for the conversion you speak of. Some have been successful and others not so much. You’ll have to decide whether you feel comfortable to give it a try or not.
thanks.
mtucker

Post by mtucker »

XDUDE3D wrote:Just received a ASUS BW-16D1HT but manufactured January 2018 (3.02).....

Anyway I can salvage this? Or is another buy'n'hope it?.... :(
You sure can. Use the clean 3.02 FW given just a few posts before yours. My January 2018 drive would not read a UHD disk when I got it, but works great after I dumped my FW, combined with the clean, and reflashed. My computer skills are mediocre, but I got through the FW process following this thread https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopi ... 16&t=17058
lujan

Post by lujan »

Will this external drive work with UHD discs and MakeMKV?

ASUS USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 External 16X Blu-Ray Re-writer MacOS Compatible Model BW-16D1X-U LITE/BLK /G /AS
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

No, the BW-16D1X-U is not a BDXL-capable drive, despite its model number, and description in the ad you originally linked to.

I bought one, and then gave it away to a Mac user, who then put it on his Windows box because the Mac didn't like it very much.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
lujan

Post by lujan »

Woodstock wrote:No, the BW-16D1X-U is not a BDXL-capable drive, despite its model number, and description in the ad you originally linked to.

I bought one, and then gave it away to a Mac user, who then put it on his Windows box because the Mac didn't like it very much.
Are there any external drives that work?
tapidlittle

Post by tapidlittle »

tapidlittle wrote:I have a LG BU40N which seems to be an official reader.
Any idea if it will ever be supported?

DEUHD says it's supported but I tried it and it won't work. :(

Also someone here claim he his able to revert an official reader to a friendly reader, what about that?

thanks.
I have contacted DeUHD for my drive and they say I need firmware A101, now I have A102.

Anyone know where I can get this firmware?

thanks.
B17NNS

Post by B17NNS »

Mine has just arrived. Manufactured September 2017. Haven't got an enclosure yet but will this work out of the box?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

tapidlittle wrote:
I have contacted DeUHD for my drive and they say I need firmware A101, now I have A102.

Anyone know where I can get this firmware?

thanks.
They are advising you downgrade. READ this thread carefully and follow the instructions if you wish to downgrade:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 16&t=17058

And again as it has been CLEARLY stated before, if you wish to have support for this drive at this time, you will have to buy DeUHD (if you have not already).
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

WH16NS40
SVC CODE: NS50
ROM version 1.03
Built January 2018

I'm hosed yes?