www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:17 am 

jonghotti wrote:
I've developed a patented fool proof way to avoid having to flash drives.

you have peaked my interest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:57 am 

brandonw wrote:
i finally decided to bite the bullet on the procedure to flash my asus drive from 3.02 to a clean version but it seems like the link for the window 7 portable iso is no longer working. Is there a way to get this fix or another way to go about it?

It's available in many places...

https://www.google.com/search?q=win7pe+ ... 83&bih=690

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:53 pm 

Sorry for the bump. First of all I want to say thanks for creating this guide, but I must admit that I'm a bit overwhelmed by the idea of doing hex edit and what not to try and do this (I got to a certain point through the guide and then just kind of paused thinking "what am I doing? Can I do this?"). Mike was saying something that perhaps this will be easier in the future, has there been anything to this end? I bought a BW-16D1HT in June from Amazon totally for the purpose of backing up my 4K blurays so I could watch them (don't have a player and figured I'd rather do it that way anyway), but apparently they now ship with 3.02 already applied.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:03 pm 

Thanks TeddyRaspin for the easy to follow Windows method and doing the mod to my dump.

Had an old i3-530 system in the closet and worked just fine on that system.

Also thanks to d00zah to pointing out my original BW-16D1HT that had 1.01 Firmware would not work not UHD friendly. Grabbed one at Frys with 3.03 and did the Downgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:56 am 

Hi. I'm looking at grabbing an ASUS BW-16D1HT PRO (such as this one: https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Optical-Drives-&-Media/Blu-Ray/51772-BW-16D1HT-PRO). I know it's listed as a UHD Friendly drive, but I wanted to verify the situation with its firmware before purchasing.

Specifically, if I were to buy it and it came with a non-UHD friendly firmware like 3.03, is it still possible to flash the clean firmware using the same method as the BW-16D1HT? The two drives look almost identical, but does anyone know if the firmwares are cross-compatible?

I don't want to buy it and then immediately brick it by flashing the wrong firmware.

==UPDATE==

So I took the plunge anyway and bought a BW-16D1HT PRO. Turns out, yes, it is identical to the BW-16D1HT. In fact, the model number on the drive itself doesn't mention the PRO suffix, nor is it mentioned in MakeMKV, so it seems it's just a marketing thing for whatever reason. The one I got was manufactured in January 2018 and came with 3.02. Out of the box it wouldn't read UHD disks, so I downgraded the firmware to a cleaned 3.01 and have just finished dumping Deadpool.

Thanks hugely to TeddyRaspin for the guide!

Last edited by STENDEC on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 am 

karmal wrote:
Sorry for the bump. First of all I want to say thanks for creating this guide, but I must admit that I'm a bit overwhelmed by the idea of doing hex edit and what not to try and do this (I got to a certain point through the guide and then just kind of paused thinking "what am I doing? Can I do this?"). Mike was saying something that perhaps this will be easier in the future, has there been anything to this end? I bought a BW-16D1HT in June from Amazon totally for the purpose of backing up my 4K blurays so I could watch them (don't have a player and figured I'd rather do it that way anyway), but apparently they now ship with 3.02 already applied.

The EEPROM Data Mover auto method is instead of hex editing yourself. As d00zah confirmed to me. Some people would rather do the DIY manual method of hex editing.

Take all the steps listed with great care and you will be fine. It seems more complex than it is. I felt the same as you did before I tried it. Especially at the thought of making an error with hex edit.

Now I'm going to buy more drives and do exactly the same.. So I can also backup my 4k discs. I don't own a UHD capable player either. Using Plex with Infuse on ATV to enjoy all those extra pixels!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:30 am 

Fist bump for the walkthrough. I almost despaired at finding a motherboard with SATA IDE until I found one in the corner of my garage.

Sad that this is such an issue to make digital copies to play on my Plex server for my own enjoyment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:06 pm 

I am trying to downgrade the ASUS 16D1HT 3.02 firmware to 3.01. I successfully dumped my firmware, but keep hitting a brick wall when I try to use the Windows method of combining the data with the clean firmware and I get an error message in the EEPROM Data Mover program. I also tried the hex editing, but the editor wouldn't let me save the file.

@TeddyRaspin, in your original post, you offered to do the hex editing if I send you the dump file. Is that offer still open?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 pm 

GrayPockets wrote:
Fist bump for the walkthrough. I almost despaired at finding a motherboard with SATA IDE until I found one in the corner of my garage.

Sad that this is such an issue to make digital copies to play on my Plex server for my own enjoyment.

Its really not hard. Buy an original UHD friendly drive with the right firmware and be done with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:45 pm 

So who has inquired about warranty support for a "flashed" drive? Don't all raise your hands at once.

I have, and guess what, when you "downgrade" or "flash" or even better "crossflash" a drive with unsupported, hacked, hybrid firmware, you've voided your warranty.

So should you have a problem with your drive down the road, definitely do not call ASUS. Of course if your ASUS drive shows up in makemkv as an LG, I'd steer clear of contacting either manufacturer.

There are alternatives to this however. One being, buy a drive that comes with it's original firmware.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12