Pioneer BDR-211EBK

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
LuekG

Pioneer BDR-211EBK

Post by LuekG »

Any love for this drive, or is the firmware to encrypted?

I tried ripping Ghostbusters 2016, but when opening the disc it failed in the Copy Protection Key Exchange.
Attachments
MKB20_v60_Ghostbusters_(2016)_AA45.tgz
This is the dump file created.
(24.81 KiB) Downloaded 881 times
TeddyRaspin

Re: Pioneer BDR-211EBK

Post by TeddyRaspin »

That error is due to AACS 2.0 specs being a Real UHD drive.

Anyway if a hashed key for your disc is known (i.e. inside the hashed_keys.txt file) your UHD disc will be decrypted anyway. :wink:
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

TeddyRaspin wrote:That error is due to AACS 2.0 specs being a Real UHD drive.

Anyway if a hashed key for your disc is known (i.e. inside the hashed_keys.txt file) your UHD disc will be decrypted anyway. :wink:
No, not with Pioneer drive. This drive is and will always be useless.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Thanks for this Mike. I've done my own tests with WH16NS60 and it decrypts UHD discs anyway (being known the specific hashed keys for those UHD titles).
macrolon

Post by macrolon »

TeddyRaspin wrote: Anyway if a hashed key for your disc is known (i.e. inside the hashed_keys.txt file) your UHD disc will be decrypted anyway. :wink:
Maybe this works with your WH16NS60.
Trying to rip with a LG BU40N v1.00 will always lead to this result.

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..002000800 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'

UHD ripping with a BU40N is not possible (with MakeMKV).
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Only Pioneer drives are no-go. WH16NS60 and BU40N will be supported one way or another in a near future.
bitworknet

Post by bitworknet »

Why are the pioneer-Drives no-go?
Will there be any support in future?
sbt12

Post by sbt12 »

mike admin wrote:Only Pioneer drives are no-go. WH16NS60 and BU40N will be supported one way or another in a near future.
The BU40N is the only ultraslim drive that seems readily available so that would really help :)
I can confirm that BU40N with firmware-version 1.02 does not work in the same system where an external Asus drive works without a problem.
alexcoluzzi32

Re: LG WH16NS60

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

TeddyRaspin wrote:Thanks for this Mike. I've done my own tests with WH16NS60 and it decrypts UHD discs anyway (being known the specific hashed keys for those UHD titles).
Teddy, I just picked up a WH16NS60, manufactured June 2017, ROM VER:1.0.0 SVC CODE NS60 is this anything like yours? Thank you!

Alex
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Yes it should be the same.
sleepycol

Post by sleepycol »

Hi,

I have BU40N v1.01 firmware.
Cant copy these discs, see logs attached. Any ideas?

Don't have any others to try as these are rentals,

Cheers,
Colin
Attachments
MKB20_v61_DUNKIRK_AAA9.tgz
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 791 times
MKB20_v61_STORKS_6BF1.tgz
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 792 times
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

sleepycol wrote:Hi,

I have BU40N v1.01 firmware.
Cant copy these discs, see logs attached. Any ideas?

Don't have any others to try as these are rentals,

Cheers,
Colin
mike admin wrote:Only Pioneer drives are no-go. WH16NS60 and BU40N will be supported one way or another in a near future.
See Mike's post above yours. It cannot be clearer than that. He is the developer of MakeMKV and he currently has not added support for those drives.

No way to get around it in MakeMKV yet. You would have to buy DeUHD if you want support for that specific drive at this time.

EDIT: Or buy a UHD friendly drive that is currently supported and has the correct firmware.
LuekG

Post by LuekG »

Thanks all to your contributions to this thread.

I recently was able to get my hands on an Asus BW-16D1HT Pro and has been working wonderfully!

Quite sad that actual UltraHD drives make you jump through more hurdles rather than make the process more easy... on the bright-side I now have 2 drives that can write BDXL if ever needed! :lol:
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

It's a shame that Pioneer drives are so anti-consumer-restricted-locked down-drm heavy etc, because they make what appear to be otherwise decent, attractive, and probably reliable drives.

Take this drive* for example. If it was UHD-friendly I would buy it instantly. An external 4K slim slot-loading drive that's somewhat attractive and has a USB-C port!

https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/bdr-xs07tuhd/

The problem with most slim drives, at least external ones, is that they come with (what I judge as) flimsy trays; are otherwise unattractive; have legacy USB ports; or come from Chinese manufacturers with questionable warranty coverage should I ever have an issue. I had a generic external blu-ray drive previously (still do in storage) and it was pretty unreliable for ripping purposes. I'm not sure if this was down to the hardware, ripping software, or both; but it was certainly annoying to have failed rips and have to retry multiple times hoping for the best.

Given the relative lack of slot-loading drives in the external form-factor (and generally) I'm likely to opt for a full-sized internal drive with a motorised tray. Portability is not really an issue. Who carries around optical drives any more? I'd rather have reliability and sturdy operation. I have a lot of CDs I need to re-rip (courtesy of a theft some time back). In this case, can someone recommend a really attractive enclosure that has USB-C? I'm trying to purge everything non-USB-C from my life; though that won't be possible entirely while I still have an iPhone.

*tried to insert a named URL but I couldn't get the code to work