SUDDENLY ASUS BW-16D1HT READING AT 2.0X (8.9 M/s)

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
davidahn

SUDDENLY ASUS BW-16D1HT READING AT 2.0X (8.9 M/s)

Post by davidahn »

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

My Asus BW-16D1HT w/ firmware 3.00 has been an amazing workhorse. It's ripped about 60 UHD Blu-rays plus a couple dozen 1080p Blu-rays. It reads UHD at approx. 4-9X normally (30-50 minutes per movie). But suddenly this afternoon it was taking 2+ hrs, reading at 2.0X (on Blade Runner 2049, which is 80+ GB, second rip because the first didn't rip the Atmos track).

I thought some config got messed up, so I stopped the rip, power cycled the drive and my iMac, restarted it, and sure enough, it's been holding steady at 2.0X for the last 2 hr 10 minutes, another 28 minutes to go. Mind you, nothing has changed to my knowledge, I've been ripping all day at 6-9X.

iMac 2017 Quad Core i7 4.2 GHz · 40 GB RAM · 12 TB RAID 5
macOS 10.13.4
MakeMKV 1.12.0
Asus BW-16D1HT v3.00

I thought maybe it overheated, but the case is cool. I just bought a laser lens cleaner, after 2+ hours I don't want to interrupt this rip (I was 2+ hours in when I stopped it to reboot everything!), so I'll try it after it finishes this rip. I'm also going to try deleting my MakeMKV pref file to see if that makes a difference.
davidahn

Re: SUDDENLY ASUS BW-16D1HT READING AT 2.0X (8.9 M/s)

Post by davidahn »

Also going to see if it's just this disc, but I don't remember it being this slow on this disc last time I ripped it.
davidahn

Post by davidahn »

UPDATE:

Coco is reading at 5.4X already, so it must have just been the Blade Runner 2049 disc. Weird. I'll update further if anything changes. I hope I never have to rip THAT disc again!!!
davidahn

Post by davidahn »

OK, it's up to 7.3X. NVM!!! Wow, Blade Runner 2049 had me worried!!!
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

Glad to know things worked out ... it is always some disc that is problematic :-) I am in the process of trying to get a configuration similar to what you have.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

Yeah both my ASUS drives are hauling ass, version 3.00 almost seems faster than 3.01, I'm almost done with the entire Harry Potter 8 disc set, wondering if I should rip the Blu Rays as well or why bother.

I've had it with this ancient XPS Studio 7100 though, I need to have my head examined spending all this time rehabbing this thing. Just bought a brand new XPS 8930 on sale at Fry's, well, open box, but I've good luck with open box usually. Add one more stick of RAM and I should be fine

Oh and to keep it on topic, my local store is out of BW-16D1HTs so I've got another two waiting for me at the Sunnyvale store. I wonder if I should bring a PC with me to plug each one in real quick and see what firmware's on em :)
davidahn

Post by davidahn »

I've ripped about 4-5 more, averaging peak rates of 6-8x again. It was just the one movie.

Definitely varies widely though, some discs read slower. And rates generally faster for Blu-rays than UHD Blu-rays.

@FLJoe, if you're not too pot committed to your 2-drive RAID 0, I highly recommend the Open Digital Mobius 5-bay w/ Softraid bundle: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... olt_2.html.

@Alex, I always rip both UHD and Blu-ray, as non-HDR displays don't play back HDR 4K movies very well even if transcoded down. And when away from home full Blu-ray quality is MORE than enough.

I too just ripped the UHD Harry Potter 8-disc collection Sat-Sunday. Sadly, my collection came from the UK and it didn't come with 1080p Blu-rays, only the UHD Blu-rays. So now I'm struggling to find a transcoder that will convert the color spaces from BT.2020 to BT.709. I tried Handbrake, and the shadow detail is GONE, and colors are weird. I'd also bought a 7-disc Blu-ray Harry Potter boxed set that's just missing the 8th film, but I can't for the life of me find that set to rip for my 1080p SDR library.

Now I'm re-ripping all the UHD movies I'd ripped before I realized MakeMKV does NOT rip the Atmos/dts:X tracks unless you specifically check those.

I also got an LG WH16NS40 because they said it would work if it had SVC code NS50, but my firmware was too new. And I can't make heads not tails of Teddy Raspin's instructions.

What the heck are you gonna do with 4 Asus BW-16D1HT's?!?
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

davidahn wrote: I also got an LG WH16NS40 because they said it would work if it had SVC code NS50, but my firmware was too new. And I can't make heads not tails of Teddy Raspin's instructions.
It is extremely simple once you decide to follow his instructions and have the right hardware to do it. I struggled over the weekend with my POS Dell Dimension E520 ... today I took the ASUS BW-16D1HT to work and set up everything on my lab PC at work and used Windows 7 version listed on the guide to do everything without any hiccup. Downgraded to firmware 3.02 without any issues and drive rips great on the 4 UHD 4K discs I fed it. Key is to have a motherboard that supports SATA configuration in IDE mode, connect the drive to SATA0 port on the motherboard and boot to Windows7 from the Rufus made USB drive.
davidahn

Post by davidahn »

fljoemon wrote:
davidahn wrote: I also got an LG WH16NS40 because they said it would work if it had SVC code NS50, but my firmware was too new. And I can't make heads not tails of Teddy Raspin's instructions.
It is extremely simple once you decide to follow his instructions and have the right hardware to do it. I struggled over the weekend with my POS Dell Dimension E520 ... today I took the ASUS BW-16D1HT to work and set up everything on my lab PC at work and used Windows 7 version listed on the guide to do everything without any hiccup. Downgraded to firmware 3.02 without any issues and drive rips great on the 4 UHD 4K discs I fed it. Key is to have a motherboard that supports SATA configuration in IDE mode, connect the drive to SATA0 port on the motherboard and boot to Windows7 from the Rufus made USB drive.
I don't know if I'd call it "extremely" simple. Haha I have an HTPC w/ Win 10 Pro on it. I made a FreeDOS boot disk on my Mac (using VirtualBox Win 10 Pro), I changed my BIOS to turn AHCI off and SATA to IDE mode, I'm almost positive I plugged the drive into the SATA0 port, but it wouldn't recognize the command "DOSFLASH".