Inaccessible subtitle track in output mkv file

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
keithhelms

Inaccessible subtitle track in output mkv file

Post by keithhelms »

I am trying to extract a title from an anime bluray disc which contains 2 English subtitle tracks. If I let Makemkv try and also extract any forced subtitles, I see this:

Code: Select all

Forced subtitles track #4 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #6 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
The mkvinfo command only shows 1 subtitle track in the output file:

| + A track
|  + Track number: 3 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 2)
|  + Track UID: 3
|  + Track type: audio
|  + Default flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 1
|  + Codec ID: A_AC3
|  + Language: jpn
|  + Default duration: 32.000ms (31.250 frames/fields per second for a video track)
|  + Name: Stereo
|  + Audio track
|   + Sampling frequency: 48000
|   + Channels: 2
| + A track
|  + Track number: 4 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 3)
|  + Track UID: 4
|  + Track type: subtitles
|  + Default flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 0
|  + Codec ID: S_HDMV/PGS
|  + Language: eng
| + EbmlVoid (size: 39)
|+ Chapters
However, the mediainfo command shows the 2nd subtitle track as being there:

Text #1
ID                                       : 4
Format                                   : PGS
Codec ID                                 : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info                            : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:24:12.263312500
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES                         : 795
NUMBER_OF_BYTES                          : 8510666
SOURCE_ID                                : 001200
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP                  : MakeMKV v1.9.9 linux(x64-release)
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC             : 2016-04-16 10:18:39
_STATISTICS_TAGS                         : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES SOURCE_ID

Text #2
ID                                       : 6
Format                                   : PGS
Codec ID                                 : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info                            : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:23:57.957354166
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES                         : 104
NUMBER_OF_BYTES                          : 1160324
SOURCE_ID                                : 001201
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP                  : MakeMKV v1.9.9 linux(x64-release)
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC             : 2016-04-16 10:18:39
_STATISTICS_TAGS                         : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES SOURCE_ID
I can't access the 2nd subtitle track with mkvextract in order to feed it to BDSup2Sub. The problem seems related to the track ID number. With forced tracks selected, the output subtitle track IDs are 4 and 6. With forced tracks deselected, the track IDs are 4 and 5.

Is there a bug where Makemkv is not numbering or formatting subtitle tracks properly after the empty forced subtitle tracks are removed? I'm having this problem with both the 1.9.8 and the latest 1.9.9 releases and both the gui and the command line versions. I have been able to extract multiple subtitle tracks in the past, so I'm scratching my head over what's different here.
Woodstock

Re: Inaccessible subtitle track in output mkv file

Post by Woodstock »

Mike would have to give the definitive answer, but... The subtitle tracks are assigned numbers at the start, and the "forced only" tracks are included in the numbering scheme. Afterward, when they are found to be empty, they're removed... But the other tracks retain their track ID numbers that were selected at the start.

A hint - I have yet to find an anime title that uses subtitles that are TAGGED as forced. Even ones where there is only a single subtitle track. I still let MakeMKV try to pull them, but it always ends up deleting them. This is true for Sentai, Viz, Funimation, NIS, and a dozen imported publishers I've worked with.

The only time I've seen a real tagged-as-forced track was Avatar.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
keithhelms

Re: Inaccessible subtitle track in output mkv file

Post by keithhelms »

It appears the mkvtoolnix package version that is in the Ubuntu 14.04 repositories has a bug in dealing with mkv tracks and it doesn't like omitted track numbers or UIDs. After I extract a bluray title with Makemkv the mkvinfo, mkvmerge, and mkvextract commands from mkvtoolnix version 6.7.0-1 all see the video track (1), the 2 audio tracks (2 & 3), and the first subtitle track (4), but not the second subtitle track (6).

I went out to the mkvtoolnix site and followed their instructions for downloading the latest version on a Ubuntu 14.04 system. The 9.0.1 versions of the commands were able to see and process the second subtitle track with no problem.

Now I'm left wondering what changed from a couple of months ago when my extract script was able to handle 2 subtitle tracks with no errors. I was on Makemkv 1.9.2 for a long time and only recently switched to 1.9.8 and then 1.9.9. The Ubuntu updates don't appear to have updated mkvtoolnix any time recently.