www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Playlists Star Trek TNG
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:04 pm 

Hi, recently went through the Star Trek (the original series) & making a note of all. mpls for each episode as I went for each disc...
Used the process monitor method & all was fine.

Just went to start the Star Trek - The Next Generation & none of the playlist monitor throws up is what makemkv..
There's not a lot of playlist only 10 or so
Are the next generation blue rays fine with Makemkv auto picking proper mpls??
I assume process monitor is seeing a cached version.

Also I see something new in makenkv
'anylizing seamless segments'?
Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:44 pm 

On episodic TV shows, you generally look for the files that have the right time length, about 42-45 minutes in ST:TNG's case.

It is rare that playlist obfuscation is used, but it has happened.

Also, look at the file name in the INFO window; generally, the episodes on a disk will have consecutive file names, but they may not be "in order" in MakeMKV's list.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:39 pm 

In addition to title length, title size is another way to go. For episodes you'll know how many per disc (usually between 3-5) and for TNG they will be around 8 gigs. So in a list of titles, it's easy to spot 4 items around that size without navigating to each one to check the length. The exception is if there's a 2-parter as one episode, in which case you're looking for something around 12-16 gigs. The other thing to see easily in the list is the number of chapters, usually around 8 I think for TNG.

One thing to watch for with some TV shows is that you avoid the "play all" playlist, which will have a large number of chapters and a large file size. I don't think TNG does this though.

You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly the more you rip and know what to look for.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:02 pm 

Figured I'd quickly add this, since I happen to be re-ripping TNG (as I originally didn't know what I was doing and needlessly included the lossy core audio).

This screenshot looks this way because my ripping machine is Windows XP and I have a low time setting for titles, so I may be getting more titles in my list than you are.

But you can tell that the episodes in this case are nice and easy to quickly identify - you know there's 5 episodes per disc, they all have 7 chapters and they're all around 8 gigs: