Ubuntu 16.04 install error

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
sirrab

Ubuntu 16.04 install error

Post by sirrab »

/usr/bin/makemkv
/usr/bin/makemkvcon: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've had no problems in the past. This is a fresh install of 16.04. Tried making several times with updates and restarts, to no avail. Suggestions?
sirrab

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 install error

Post by sirrab »

Really? No suggestions?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not everyone that runs the linux version is here every day, so you won't get instant answers. There ARE a number of messages posted in the last couple of months on Ubuntu issues, so doing a search for "Ubuntu" will probably find your answer.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
sirrab

Post by sirrab »

I thought 16.04 was the default Ubuntu version. A google search has informed me that 16.04 broke openssl. Looks like a version issue. Sigh!
JohnAStebbins

Post by JohnAStebbins »

libcrypto is only supplied by ubuntu as a shared library. Fedora is the same so maybe this is the only option provided by the openssl build system. Otherwise I'm sure MakeMKV would have statically linked this library in order to prevent such version problems. Supporting multiple versions is a headache, so it's understandable that MakeMKV only supports the latest. Fortunately for you, Ubutnu's current LTS release 18.04 does use libcrypto.so.1.1.

So all you need to do is update your system to the latest LTS. Or alternatively, build a local copy of openssl 1.1.

Yet another argument for flatpak'in this puppy :mrgreen: