Makemkvcon on SheevaPlug

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
rosie

Makemkvcon on SheevaPlug

Post by rosie »

I would love to run makemkvcon (for decrypting blu rays and creating mkv's) on my SheevaPlug!

I understand that the makemkv GUI is open source (and can be recompiled), and that the core binaries are x86 based and closed source.

Is a cross-compiled ARM architecture version available?

I currently run makemkv on an x86 based Ubuntu 10.10 Eee PC with portable USB BD-ROM drive, and use my SheevaPlug/1TB portable HD as a NAS server very successfully - but it would be great to run makemkvcon natively on the plug!

The SheevaPlug is running full Ubuntu 9.04 (from a 16GB SDHC) and of course can compile from build-essentials etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.
xenoxaos

Re: Makemkvcon on SheevaPlug

Post by xenoxaos »

I second that. I have multiple plugs (Dockstar, GoFlex Home, GoFlex Net, Pogoplug Pink, Pogoplug Pro (x2)) all running PlugApps/ArchLinux-Arm and would love to automate my bluray ripping directly to my dlna/samba server. The primary reason I keep windows around is for bluray support.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

MakeMKV binary is currently available for x86, x64 and mipsel32 . Generally, Adding ARM to the list is not a big problem. Please provide more details about the hardware - what toolchain is used, what distro is installed and so on.
rosie

Post by rosie »

Nice one Mike - exciting stuff.

My plug is a SheevaPlug (of which there are many variants), which has the following spec:

1.2 GHz Marvell Kirkwood 6281 ARM-compatible CPU (aka Feroceon)
Ubuntu 9.04 ARM build
'uname -a' gives : ubuntu 2.6.36 #3 PREEMPT Sun Dec 5 16:26:45 GMT 2010 armv5tel GNU/Linux

512MB SDRAM
512MB Internal Flash
16GB SDHC (hosting the OS and apps etc.)

Other Connectvity details:
USB2.0
eSATA
SDIO
Gigabit Ethernet

Connectivity is achieved either by direct TTY USB connection, or more commonly SSH over the network, to achieve a stable command-line only environment.

Video options are available for plugs, but I believe a MakeMKV command line app would satisfy many with ARM architectures!

GCC is used for app building (I have used the -march=armv5te flag) and most of the libraries are available via APT.

'apt-get build-essential' updated a whole load of libraries for me, and I have been able to get apps such as TrueCrypt to compile and run OK.

Being a noob, perhaps others (xenoxaos?) can assist with further details on toolchain specifics, and the ability to port ARM binaries that could potentially support multiple hosts?

Please let me know of any specifics you would need.
fabaplug

Post by fabaplug »

Also i'm interesting on this app on sheevaplug!
What i have need is a command line to make a blu-ray iso image of my personal video blu-ray and after i can read it on samba server.
Do you think that is possible only command line without many many apps? I try to install dependencies but they are like 500Mbyte.
Let me know your progress.
Thanks
Fabio