"Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, ..."

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
kirby

"Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, ..."

Post by kirby »

Using makemkvcon on Linux, with a few different disks, I get many lines of:
"Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages."

The ripped titles appear ok, but I'm curious about the message. I'm writing to a 6-drive RAID array, crappy benchmarks like hdparm -tT usually shows about 300MB/sec, and I regularly write 2-4 streams of 1080i video from a clear QAM tuner without trouble.

I've checked when this is happening and no other serious write activity is happening on the array. What's going on? If I could get a technical explanation of what the code is detecting, maybe I could troubleshoot it better.
mike admin

Re: "Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, ..

Post by mike admin »

kirby wrote:Using makemkvcon on Linux, with a few different disks, I get many lines of:
"Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages."

The ripped titles appear ok, but I'm curious about the message. I'm writing to a 6-drive RAID array, crappy benchmarks like hdparm -tT usually shows about 300MB/sec, and I regularly write 2-4 streams of 1080i video from a clear QAM tuner without trouble.

I've checked when this is happening and no other serious write activity is happening on the array. What's going on? If I could get a technical explanation of what the code is detecting, maybe I could troubleshoot it better.
MakeMKV has a dedicated thread that writes data to a file. Also, the way MKV files are written, the program has to overwrite small parts of file. The message is shown when internal memory buffer is full and the program must spin and wait. Please PM me and I'll provide information how to enable extended logging for this case.