Direct Blu-ray playback with VLC plays nothing

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
aaribaud

Direct Blu-ray playback with VLC plays nothing

Post by aaribaud »

I've just tested the direct blu-ray playback feature.

I have removed libaacs0 from my Ubuntu 13.04 system, built and installed makemkv bin and oss 1.8.5 (registered, by the way), created the symlinks for libaacs and libbdplus, and indeed, VLC does not immediately complain when trying to play the Serenity BLu-ray, and it even look like it is playing: once the "play" button is pressed, it switches to the "pause" shape and the optical drive seeks like mad for a few seconds (that's makemkv analyzing the disc), then... nothing shows up.

If I press the "pause" button, it turns into the "play" button again, and if I press it again, I get the same (absence of) result.

When run standalone, MakeMKV recognizes the Serenity Blu-ray as "AACS v9"; it can open the Blu-ray (takes about 8 seconds), it can stream it, it can save it.

Here is what VLC says if lanuched from command line:

$ LANG=C vlc bluray:///media/albert/SERENITY_G51_GLO/
VLC media player 2.0.8 Twoflower (revision 2.0.8a-0-g68cf50b)
[0xabc138] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x7f82f0001138] libbluray demux: First play: 1, Top menu: 1
HDMV Titles: 22, BD-J Titles: 59, Other: 59
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 1, expected 0) for PID 18
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 13, expected 0) for PID 20
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 9, expected 0) for PID 17
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 7, expected 10) for PID 17
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 2, expected 0) for PID 0
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 0, expected 2) for PID 18
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 2, expected 3) for PID 0
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 11, expected 8) for PID 17
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 0, expected 14) for PID 20
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 12, expected 3) for PID 0
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 11, expected 12) for PID 17

The error lines are a few seconds apart, irregularly, and continue further.

So it seems like VLC is decoding a stream, but for some reason does not play it.

Any idea why?
mike admin

Re: Direct Blu-ray playback with VLC plays nothing

Post by mike admin »

Unfortunately VLC is still quite limited. Make a test - create a decrypted disc backup and try playing decrypted M2TS file - VLC will choke as well. Roughly about 10% of all discs cause trouble for VLC - in this case you'll have to make an MKV file first.