Converting MKV to MP4 in Handbrake - Grey, Pixelated Preview

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
dgray

Converting MKV to MP4 in Handbrake - Grey, Pixelated Preview

Post by dgray »

Hello,

I just got a Blu-ray drive and MakeMKV, and I have to congratulate you all on a great program! However, I seem to be having a problem converting the .mkv to an MPEG4.

When I open the MKV file in Handbrake, the preview window comes out grey and pixelated, and the video file has a grey flash at the start of it (and seems to skip more than usual). I saw that last year, some users had this exact same problem, but I can't find any solution that fits my situation.

I'm using a MacPro. My MakeMKV version is 1.7.8, my Handbrake version is 0.9.4, and my VLC is the latest version.

I'm afraid this is my first day at Blu-ray encoding. In general, are there particular settings in Handbrake/MakeMKV you'd recommend for web-streaming?

Thank you for all your help, and please let me know if you need any info from me.
Woodstock

Re: Converting MKV to MP4 in Handbrake - Grey, Pixelated Pre

Post by Woodstock »

First recommendation - get a current version of Handbrake. The release version is up to 0.9.8 last I checked. But the "Nightly Build" versions handle BD data MUCH better than the release.

Handbrake has a "web optimized" option on generation of MP4 files you might try. I haven't needed it for streaming a to the TVs and media players over DLNA.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dgray

Post by dgray »

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately, the OS X on our office computer is only 10.5.8, and the newest version of Handbrake and the Nightly Builds require Snow Leopard or above. Is there a way to troubleshoot and solve this issue without upgrading the OS, or are we out of luck?
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

While prior versions of Handbrake are not supported at the Handbrake forums, I think you will get better support for Handbrake at their forums rather than the MakeMKV forum.

SC