Could MakeMKV brick a computer?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Crosby

Could MakeMKV brick a computer?

Post by Crosby »

I just broke out a new iMac and installed MakeMKV 1.9.8. I ripped a Blu-ray (with a new OWC Mercury Pro (LG) drive) and everything was working great. But then less than an hour later, the iMac got stuck in a restart / kernel panic loop. It won't safe boot or anything - just loops like that, over and over. It's going to the shop tomorrow.

MakeMKV was the only new software I put on the computer, so that's why I'm starting here first. What's the likelihood that MakeMKV could've caused this? Not looking to drag the software through the mud - I know it's beta. But I'd love to keep using it seeing as how I don't know any other way to back up my discs.

If it matters, I did not knowingly install DASPI and the iMac is (was) running El Capitan.

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.
Woodstock

Re: Could MakeMKV brick a computer?

Post by Woodstock »

Unless you configured MakeMKV to auto-load on boot (not something you can normally do), it should NOT be interfering with boot-up. All of MakeMKV stays in one location on the Mac.

Mike has said that DASPI is no longer installed by default, but, if it is needed, a message will display suggesting that it be installed. So it would be rather hard to accidentally put it in.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Crosby

Re: Could MakeMKV brick a computer?

Post by Crosby »

That's good to hear. Everything worked the way I wanted it to, making the .mkv, so... that's a relief.

Thank you, Woodstock!