How to work with Series with multiple episodes on each disc?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
bghouse

How to work with Series with multiple episodes on each disc?

Post by bghouse »

Hello,

I'm new to Makemkv, using the Mac OSX app. I've been able to figure out which "title" on my individual discs are the actual move, deselect all the others, and make the .mkv files for individual movies.

I'm completely lost on how to figure this out with my Blu Ray or DVD discs that are series. I dont have a lot, but I have things like Firefly, the complete seasons of JAG and MASH, etc.

When I put the disc in and read it, there are a ton of "titles" listed. How do I do this for series?

Please feel free to link me to other documentation if I missed it somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
Woodstock

Re: How to work with Series with multiple episodes on each d

Post by Woodstock »

Without experience with each title, there is not a lot to do except "play".

TV series can be authored a number of ways. The easy way, you'll find several files that are the proper length, time-wise, for a single episode. Usually, they'll be grouped together, and usually they will have file names that are sequential, in the same order as the episode's place in the series time line.

And then there is the other 49% of the time. Things like 1 file with between 3 and 12 episodes in it. Or "story arcs" within a series combined into one file. And publishers that change how they group episodes between seasons of the same series.

When there are multiple episodes in one file, there MAY also be files with the single episodes in them. If not, you can process the big file with tools like mkvmerge from mkvtoolnix, or handbrake from handbrake.fr, to split the file into separate episodes.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bghouse

Post by bghouse »

Thank you!
bartman

Post by bartman »

Most of these have a play list that includes all episodes (a 'play all'). You can use the segment map information in that to determine which individual play list = which episode.