MakeMKV Version 1.10.7 and Mac Pro 1,1

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
DBash

MakeMKV Version 1.10.7 and Mac Pro 1,1

Post by DBash »

Greetings - I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. Sorry for it to be a bit of a gripe, but maybe someone can help..

I now can no longer run MakeMKV starting with version 1.10.7. Apparently, this is the first version that locks out 32-bit EFI Macs. It would be nice if there was a legacy version that still works as a trial. I have not tried this application out for a while and wanted to give it a go, but now I can't test it on my 1,1 due to this apparent change. It also fails when you attempt to run on a Mac Mini 2,1 - also 32-bit EFI (I tested just to see if I was on the right track), so I believe my hunch is correct.

I do not wish to modify the EFI firmware or run boot loaders right now and run something later than Snow Leopard, causing me the need to also switch out my GPU to an OpenCL GPU just to try out this application on this machine. When I tried to download v1.10.6, which is frankly not that much older, I get the "This version is too old" error, requiring the registration, but it otherwise appears that it would have worked just fine, as it loads, however v1.10.7 crashes upon launching due to the apparent change in the build.

Please don't give me any cookie cutter responses such as "Upgrade your hardware", "Don't use Snow Leopard anymore - it's ancient" or "Use the EFI hack, run Lion or later and suck it up". None of that is helpful to allow me to run this application on a 32-bit EFI Mac Pro 1,1 under official 10.6.8 with an official supported GPU.

If my intuition is correct on the 32-bit EFI issue, this should be made clear in the release notes that 32-bit EFI Macs are apparently now out of luck on v1.10.7. I have a feeling that XP users may also be in for a similar surprise if the Windows build for 32-bit users also had such fundamental changes..

Again - thanks in advance for any help and it would be greatly appreciated if version 1.10.6 still allowed for trial runs or another parallel version of the current build could remain that supported 32-bit EFI.
Lovely Rita

Re: MakeMKV Version 1.10.7 and Mac Pro 1,1

Post by Lovely Rita »

10.6 loaded with the current beta key should still work with your setup:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 1053#p3548

Also....on the download page:
MakeMKV 1.10.7 for Mac OS X
Requires x64 Mac OS X 10.6 or later.

Good Luck
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
DBash

Post by DBash »

@Lovely Rita:

Yes - I do realize it states "Requires x64 Mac OS X 10.6 or later." on the latest release, but in some ways that is still a bit deceiving. Snow Leopard (and even Leopard) have a 64-bit architecture and kernel and while they theoretically support all 64-bit applications, many machines until 2009 had 32-bit EFI firmware and if the application stack is written to execute using only the latest Darwin libraries, it will require 64-bit EFI and not be supported at all on many older machines that are more than capable of doing so (even if they are technically x64 capable).

I am happy to buy a license and will do so after tying this out again on my Mac Pro 1,1. Seems that this is still the end of the line though for those on older hardware that want to beta test this application unless a legacy version stays fresh that will run on 32-bit EFI.

Thanks for pointing out the facts on the prior version with current beta key. I'll try that out and give it a shot. Hopefully that method still works.
DBash

Post by DBash »

@Lovely Rita:

That worked! Thanks a million! So it seems the countdown has begun for those on 32-bit EFI machines that want to try MakeMKV before they buy. Definitely going to spread the word to the Low End Mac community. Check us out: http://www.lowendmac.com