Problems ripping Blu-Rays on Mac (Sharp drive)

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
andefeldt

Problems ripping Blu-Rays on Mac (Sharp drive)

Post by andefeldt »

Hi,
I recently bought an external BD-drive for my Mac. The drive is a Sharp BD-BRD50_AQ (I can't find any info on this specific drive!).

At first I had problems getting access to my BD's (A LOT of SCSI errors) and found that I needed to place the KEYDB.CFG file in ~/Library/MakeMKV/ and the libaacs.dylib in ~/lib/. This allowed me to access my BD's in MakeMKV and ripping them. I still got a lot of errors, but I could rip BD's without any issues.

Today I tried to rip the movie "Life" (AACS V62) - which MakeMKV states is the highest possible AACS version to rip with this drive. This failed (I couldn't break the protection) and got multiple SCSI fails again. I then tried ripping "Logan" (AACS V58) which also failed. I then tried "Star Wars - A New Hope". This time MakeMKV was able to break the protection - although it gave me a lot of errors again. But when I started ripping the movie itself it suddenly failed.

I've attached the "dumps" from all three movies (sorry, the language is Danish :-) ).

Is my drive broken?
Thanks!
Attachments
MKB_v58_LOGAN_3BEA.tgz
(51.09 KiB) Downloaded 629 times
MKB_v62_Life_(2017)_B2D4.tgz
(50.65 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
Woodstock

Re: Problems ripping Blu-Rays on Mac (Sharp drive)

Post by Woodstock »

"Highest AACS version" is the highest version you've ripped with MakeMKV using that drive... The file names you uploaded are how MakeMKV keeps track.

What type of errors did you get? The dump files are not useful here on the forum (those would normally be emailed to svq@makemkv.com if they were for a new version of AACS), but often the debug log can point to the real culprit.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
andefeldt

Post by andefeldt »

Ok,
Here is the debug log file from my attempt to open the "Life" BD disc (attached).

I just tried downloading a trial of a Mac Blu-Ray Player. Here the movie works fine!

What's up?
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(84.88 KiB) Downloaded 624 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

We will have to wait for Mike to translate the debug messages. The SCSI errors are not ones I see often.
andefeldt

Post by andefeldt »

I just tried reinstalling MakeMKV. I deleted the KEYDB.cfg file and removed libaacs.dylib from my computer.

I then tried ripping Star Wars: A New Hope, which failed (multiple SCSI errors like before mentioned). I then downloaded KEYDB.cfg and placed it in ~/Library/MakeMKV/ and tried again.

This time I also got a lot of SCSI errors, but it continued decrypting the disc. When getting to BD+ it came with more errors and a popup window stating: "BD+ code processed but no FUTs were obtained.", but it continued decrypting the disc and finally I was presented with the disc's files/folders/videos. I selected the title and tried ripping it, but after 5-7 minutes it failed and went back to the start screen of MakeMKV. I've attached the Debug log from this attempt.

So, it seems I need the KEYDB.cfg file, but it still fails (just tried another couple of Blu-Ray movies, but these I can't even decrypt/open)!

Can somebody maybe figure out what's wrong here? Should I send the dump file (.tgz) to svq@makemkv ?
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(110.21 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
andefeldt

Post by andefeldt »

This is weird!

When I first bought the drive I managed to rip some BD movies. I then bought some other movies that ALL failed (Life, Logan, Star Wars: A New Hope and Dunkirk). I just decided to try one of the movies I've ripped before (Gravity) and that worked fine - it produced all the SCSI errors again, but no problems in opening the disc and ripping the movie.

I've attached the debug log for this one as well.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(88.27 KiB) Downloaded 611 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Again, Mike will have to decode what the debug codes mean, but...

Are you running MakeMKV with administrator privileges, or as a standard user? If this drive previously worked with MakeMKV, it has "suddenly" developed a rather limited vocabulary of SCSI commands, which is why MakeMKV cannot communicate with it properly. That would normally indicate the MakeMKV does not have permission to send certain commands to the hardware.
andefeldt

Post by andefeldt »

I’m running as my normal mac user who is an administrator, so that shouldn’t be the problem.

I just tried a trial version of a piece of commercial ripping software, which (so far) has completed 55% of ripping Dunkirk (file copy feature). This disc couldn’t open in MakeMKV. Seems like it’s an issue with the copy protection in MakeMKV - weird that it worked with all previous discs (older BD’s).
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

andefeldt wrote:This disc couldn’t open in MakeMKV. Seems like it’s an issue with the copy protection in MakeMKV
No issues with Dunkirk on my Mac setup.
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
andefeldt

Post by andefeldt »

Lovely Rita wrote:
andefeldt wrote:This disc couldn’t open in MakeMKV. Seems like it’s an issue with the copy protection in MakeMKV
No issues with Dunkirk on my Mac setup.
OS version?
MakeMKV version?
BD Drive?

Are you using KEYDB.cfg and/or libaacs.dylib? If so, where are they placed on your system?
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

andefeldt wrote: OS version?
MakeMKV version?
BD Drive?

Are you using KEYDB.cfg and/or libaacs.dylib? If so, where are they placed on your system?
PIONEER BD-RW BDR-208D

KEYDB.cfg - No - only needed for UHD discs, which I will not be participating in for the forseeable future.
libacs.dylib - yes - but's it's actually a symbolic link (alias) residing in Users/Home/lib. It links to Applications/MakeMKV/Contents/lib/libmmbd.dylib
libmmbd.dylib emulates libaacs/libbdplus libraries

The lilacs.dylib was not created when installing MakeMKV but when I followed these instructions for Direct Blu-Ray playback with VLC Player
Last edited by Lovely Rita on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buy MakeMKV
andefeldt

Post by andefeldt »

Lovely Rita wrote:
andefeldt wrote: OS version?
MakeMKV version?
BD Drive?

PIONEER BD-RW BDR-208D

KEYDB.cfg - No - only needed for UHD discs, which I will not be participating in for the forseeable future.
libacs.dylib - yes - but's it's actually a symbolic link (alias) residing in Users/Home/lib. It links to Applications/MakeMKV/Contents/lib/libmmbd.dylib
libmmbd.dylib emulates libaacs/libbdplus libraries

The lilacs.dylib was not created when installing MakeMKV but when I followed these instructions for Direct Blu-Ray playback with VLC Player
I just tried removing KEYDB.cfg and MakeMKV and reinstalled it from scratch and created the symlinks. Again, it couldn't open/decrypt the Dunkirk Blu-Ray (and the other movies I've tried). I'm using the same MakeMKV version and the same OS version as you! Really weird.
andefeldt

Post by andefeldt »

I'm using the same OS and MakeMKV. I just removed MakeMKV,, KEYDB.cfg and ~/lib/ and then reinstalled MakeMKV and make the symlinks in ~/lib/.

Again, Dunkirk (and the other movies) fails.
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

I would try another drive.
Buy MakeMKV
andefeldt

Post by andefeldt »

Yeah, I kinda wanna try that too, but the weird thing is that it works without any problems with commercial ripping software.