DVD Won't Eject After Using MakeMKV

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Goldengoose7

DVD Won't Eject After Using MakeMKV

Post by Goldengoose7 »

I just started trying out your software on some of our large DVD collection. I am encoding the discs to be used with Plex on our Mac Mini. I am using our new 27" Quad Core i5 iMAC to do the file conversions from DVD to MKV files.

Although the application has been working great, everytime the transfer is completed the DVD disc refuses to eject from the machine when we hit the Eject button in the application. The disc is not showing on the desktop either after MakeMKV has used it. The eject button on the computer keyboard won't eject the disc, nor will a Terminal command of "drutil eject".

The only way we are able to get the DVD out of the machine is to restart the computer, after which the DVD is once again showing on the desktop and hitting the Eject button on the keyboard spits it out normally. We have run four different DVDs with your application so far and only one of them has ejected properly without having to restart the iMAC.

I didn't see any mention of the problem here so I thought I should post it.

We are running OSX 10.6.6, and as I said, the 27" iMAC is less than 3 months old. Have never had any disc ejection issues with any other program such as DVD player, iDVD etc.

Let me know if you would like more specifics.

Thanks!

[]Rick.
flowjoe

Re: DVD Won't Eject After Using MakeMKV

Post by flowjoe »

Since upgrading to 1.6.4 my external drive at the MacMini could not be ejected anymore.
I click on "Eject Disc" and MakeMKV is "doing something" - counting time or so...
Aber minutes I canceled and MakeMKV says it has a Fatal Error.
Error is reproducable. No problems with 1.6.3
DASPI-driver is installed.
corvin

Post by corvin »

1.6.3 my external LG Blu-ray drive would not eject using the front eject button but the Makemkv eject button worked.
Now with 1.6.4 neither work. I have to use a paperclip and force it open.
Goldengoose7

Post by Goldengoose7 »

I continue to see this problem from time to time. I had it happen several times in a row yesterday on the iMAC using 1.6.4. As I stated in my original email, the only way I can get the disc out when this happens is to restart the machine and after it boots back up, hitting the eject button on the keyboard ejects the disc normally.

The problem is definitely MakeMKV's fault as I have never had this problem with any other application, and this issue can be replicated on all "8" of our Macs here on our home network.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Ouch. The 1.6.4 with DASPI was supposed to fix unreliable eject. Thanks for reporting.
flowjoe

Post by flowjoe »

I deinstalled the daspi-driver. My drive has only 2x speed and it's as fast as without DASPI driver.
Everythings fine now with 1.6.4
Goldengoose7

Post by Goldengoose7 »

mike admin wrote:Ouch. The 1.6.4 with DASPI was supposed to fix unreliable eject. Thanks for reporting.
No problem Mike!

Hope you can get this fixed in the next release. I really hate having to totally reboot our machines just to get a DVD out of the drive after a rip. The problem is sporadic as I mentioned, but happens more often than not. I would say about 7 rips out of 10 requires a restart of the Mac to get the disc out of the drive. All our Macs save 1 are running 10.6.6 and all 7 of these machines have the same eject problem when I use them for a marathon DVD ripping session of a box set etc.

Cheers.
Squirrellydw

Post by Squirrellydw »

How do I uninstall the DASPI driver, I have the same eject problem?
rcork

Post by rcork »

I'm having the same problem everyone else is reporting here as well with eject not working. MakeMKV fails with an error. However, i then re-launched MakeMKV and hit the eject button again and then the disc ejected.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

In 1.6.4 Ejecting was fine on my setup 27" iMac /w external Bluray Drive). Now that I upgraded to 1.6.5 I can't eject.

What works: Force kill MakeMKV and restart it; then hit the eject button.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Cavalicious wrote:In 1.6.4 Ejecting was fine on my setup 27" iMac /w external Bluray Drive). Now that I upgraded to 1.6.5 I can't eject.

Please enable debug logging and post the log file when you press eject and it fails.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

mike admin wrote:
Cavalicious wrote:In 1.6.4 Ejecting was fine on my setup 27" iMac /w external Bluray Drive). Now that I upgraded to 1.6.5 I can't eject.

Please enable debug logging and post the log file when you press eject and it fails.
There is Zero debug output whatsoever in the log (before or after pressing eject), but debug is turned on. I did let it sit after pressing the eject and after 45secs the drive just opened.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please install latest DASPI from http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2751 and see if it solves the eject problem.
Tiny Clanger

Post by Tiny Clanger »

Just a note from 2015: this is still happening!

It appears there's a certain time window after MakeMKV finishes ripping in which you can eject the disk. After that, it will hang on ejecting and you will need to reboot.

I'm running 10.10.5 with MakeMKV 1.9.7 on a 2009 Mac Pro with an internal Pioneer BD-ROM drive.

Is it perhaps causing a problem when the drive has been idle for long enough that it tries to spin down?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Tiny Clanger wrote:Just a note from 2015: this is still happening!

It appears there's a certain time window after MakeMKV finishes ripping in which you can eject the disk. After that, it will hang on ejecting and you will need to reboot.

I'm running 10.10.5 with MakeMKV 1.9.7 on a 2009 Mac Pro with an internal Pioneer BD-ROM drive.

Is it perhaps causing a problem when the drive has been idle for long enough that it tries to spin down?
Maybe, but for a quite long time MakeMKV does not use DASPI to access the drive. So it is a likely bug in OS X that kicks in.
As a workaround, one of the requested features is a "eject at the end" checkbox. I guess it has to be implemented.