multiple instances of makemkv to rip 2 discs simultaneously

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
dbox_andi

multiple instances of makemkv to rip 2 discs simultaneously

Post by dbox_andi »

Hi, is there a way to start 2 instances of makemkv to rip 2 BluRay-discs simultaneously with my 2 external BluRay-burners?
Right now I am limited to one instance of makemkv :( When I try to start a second instance of makemkv, the first instance pops to the foreground.
Romansh

Re: multiple instances of makemkv to rip 2 discs simultaneou

Post by Romansh »

That's a Mac OS X limitation. You need to have two copies of the same application installed on your hard drive in order to launch two instances of said application.
paulster

Post by paulster »

Just thinking out loud, can you get away with symlinking to the MakeMKV executable with a different name rather than installing twice? I've seen this technique work on other UNIX-based OSes in the past.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Unless I'm doing it wrong, it doesn't seem to work.
dbox_andi

Post by dbox_andi »

It workes with 2 copies :o)
That's all I wanted, the app is only 10 MB, so who cares. Thank you very much for your help!!!
KonaBlend

Post by KonaBlend »

dbox_andi wrote:Hi, is there a way to start 2 instances of makemkv to rip 2 BluRay-discs simultaneously with my 2 external BluRay-burners?
Right now I am limited to one instance of makemkv :( When I try to start a second instance of makemkv, the first instance pops to the foreground.
from command line:

Code: Select all

open -n -a MakeMKV
naturally there may be consequences of launching any app twice under same user such as shared files like prefs or caches used internally by the app.
jdl8422

Post by jdl8422 »

It is possible, I did it. I used my Blu Ray drive and DVD drive at the same time. I had one copy installed and one copy mounted in a .dmg. Just like when you download it. Theoretically you can have unlimited copies running. Hope it makes sense lol
DrPaul

Post by DrPaul »

You can also create an application using the AppleScript editor which has the following:
do shell script "open -n /Applications/MakeMKV.app"
If you save the script as an application and then place in the Dock you have a one-click way of launching a new instance of MakeMKV.
I use this method all of the time for VLC.

For extra points if you take the MakeMKV.icns from MakeMKV package contents, rename to applet.icns and copy into the applet then the applet will look like MakeMKV.

Regards

Paul
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

By popular demand, starting with 1.7.7(1) there is a new item in Application menu - open new instance.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Could you please define what constitutes popular demand so I can drum up appropriate support for you to implement compressing subs with zlib by default to make them work on the WDTV? You said this could be done EASILY several versions ago. Thx.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Mtenga

Post by Mtenga »

mike admin wrote:By popular demand, starting with 1.7.7(1) there is a new item in Application menu - open new instance.
Came via Google to this old thread. I might be being thick but I can't see the option. I would like to run two instances simultaneously. I'm on Windows not Mac.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Start MakeMKV. In Preferences->IO, check the box "Ask for single drive mode". Click on OK. Exit MakeMKV.

From then on, every time you start MakeMKV, it will ask you if you want this instance to control "all" drives, or just one. Start as many instances as you need, selecting a different drive for each from the pull-down.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Mtenga

Post by Mtenga »

Woodstock wrote:Start MakeMKV. In Preferences->IO, check the box "Ask for single drive mode". Click on OK. Exit MakeMKV.

From then on, every time you start MakeMKV, it will ask you if you want this instance to control "all" drives, or just one. Start as many instances as you need, selecting a different drive for each from the pull-down.
That might present a problem since I want to rip to one drive.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Why would you want multiple instances of MakeMKV if you only have one optical drive? They would fight each other over access to that drive.

Or are you referring to a single destination drive? I do that all the time.... A fast NAS can handle at least 6 instances of MakeMKV ripping simultaneously. That was harder for me to keep up with, because the 3 machines running those instances were at opposite ends of the house...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Mtenga

Post by Mtenga »

Woodstock wrote:Why would you want multiple instances of MakeMKV if you only have one optical drive? They would fight each other over access to that drive.

Or are you referring to a single destination drive? I do that all the time.... A fast NAS can handle at least 6 instances of MakeMKV ripping simultaneously. That was harder for me to keep up with, because the 3 machines running those instances were at opposite ends of the house...
I have two burners, one internal and one USB. But I will be ripping to the same destination drive, which is aUSB3 portal attached to my PC.

I get what you were saying now: ask for single drive is in respect of the burner not the destination drive.