DASPI problems

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
smatthew

DASPI problems

Post by smatthew »

it appears that the DASPI extension conflicts horrible with Areca RAID drivers. After installing the DASPI extension, my machine (Mac Pro3,1, 10GB memory, 33TB raid array, 10.7.4) became completely unstable. Within 30 seconds of boot, all disk access dies.

After I used kextunload and deleted the extension - everything was back to being hunky-dory. Could it be that DASPI saw my RAID array as removable, and thought it might be an optical drive?
mike admin

Re: DASPI problems

Post by mike admin »

This sounds really bad. DASPI is designed to be super-duper stable, as it only attaches to optical drives and moreover the driver becomes active only when client ( MakeMKV ) requests it, so without MakeMKV running, DASPI is really not loaded. Apparently there is a bug somewhere. Please see PM.
smatthew

Post by smatthew »

Never received any PM...
Dmnchild

Post by Dmnchild »

Upon installing the DASPI package, my blu ray burner can no longer function in Toast to burn Discs. It will always return an error now.
Looking as to how to uninstall the package/extension and hope it fixes my drive.
Dont know if this is the same issues this was posted about, but since i just installed this it is still an existing problem.
Dmnchild

Post by Dmnchild »

Hm, so now I am at a loss. My drive is still reporting Medium errors when trying to burn. It was burning fine prior to this daspi install, and broke it after. I have not changed blank media, and I have tried to burn an iso that I have in the past with success. As far as I can tell, since I have nothing to really go on is the only kext this is related to is the daspi.kext and removing this did not help. Not sure if this replaced an original one or just installed it new. But either way something is up and lack of support is depressing. Luckily I am still in trial period, but still sucks if I can not find a fix. I cant be bothered having to reinstall everything for one broken device. (Which I will of course in the end)
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

The daspi.kext is a single bundle under /SystemLibrary/Extensions/daspi.kext . If you remove it, the extension will be uninstalled. But As I mentioned before, the DASPI is designed in such a way that it only becomes active when an application (MakeMKV) uses the drive. It shouldn't cause any troubles if MakeMKV is not running.