Can't Rip Directors Commentary

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
FlashGordon7

Can't Rip Directors Commentary

Post by FlashGordon7 »

I have been ripping loads of my blu-ray discs and decided that I would also like to include the director's commentary as an audio track when I convert them using Handbrake.

However, none of my MKV files have the separate audio tracks. The one I am working on at the moment, Prometheus doesn't have a separate track that I can rip, there is only the movie itself. All the other tracks on the disc are just extras. When I play the MKV in VLC I can select multiple audio tracks but they are all just foreign language versions. However, when I play the blu-ray disc itself on my iMac using a Blu-Ray player I can select Ridley Scott's directors commentary.

I am confused! Can anyone help?
Woodstock

Re: Can't Rip Directors Commentary

Post by Woodstock »

On some of my BDs and DVDs, there is a separate title that has the commentary audio/subtitle tracks, even though there only seems to be a single video track.

That is, there is an "all episodes" track, and an "episode X with commentary" track, but there is only one copy of the video on the disk (no room for more!).

MakeMKV only sees the extra tracks if you rip the specific title.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
FlashGordon7

Post by FlashGordon7 »

Thanks for the reply :D

With this specific example - Prometheus - I have ripped every single track I possibly can, and with the exception of the one track which is the film, everything else is just a video extra of some sort as I have reviewed each one of them after the rip. There is nothing left to rip! So where can the directors commentary possibly be hiding?
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

How about a screenshot of the main title with all the available streams, so we can maybe see what's going on.

SC
FlashGordon7

Post by FlashGordon7 »

What a complete idiot I've been! I had no idea that you could open each track to see all the different streams inside it and select them individually. I checked Prometheus and saw that all the foreign languages were checked but the directors commentary wasn't, and that's why I couldn't select it.

I'm a fool!! Still, on the plus side I've learnt something new!

Thanks anyway!