All Rips Are Now Corrupting

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
jes269

All Rips Are Now Corrupting

Post by jes269 »

I successfully ripped about 20 Blu-ray disks. I have 4 to go, but the first two of those appear to be corrupt every time I try ripping them. At first I thought it was Handbrake, which began crashing when I opened the MKV files and/or began converting them. But then I tried opening them in VLC, and while some titles are opening, others are not. MKV seems to be the culprit. The disks are the National Worlds disk on the UK Planet Earth collection and the first disk of Human Planet.
Smithcraft

Re: All Rips Are Now Corrupting

Post by Smithcraft »

I think that Human Planet is interlaced VC-1, which is not well supported outside of the proprietary codecs.

If you get MediaInfo, you can use it to see what the video codec is.

SC
jes269

Post by jes269 »

Hmm. It does appear files from both discs are VC-1 interlaced. Thank you for your thoughts on this. What is the reason that the first file sometimes does open and begin converting? i.e. Why would a program be able to handle it sometimes and crash only at random times? Also, is it Handbrake that is the culprit, or MakeMKV, or both?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at Mon, Jan 14, 8.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at Mon, Jan 14, 8.41 AM.png (182.29 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at Mon, Jan 14, 8.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at Mon, Jan 14, 8.40 AM.png (179.71 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

The problem for Handbrake is that a core library does not support interlaced VC-1. I think there are two applications for Windows that do handle it, but I don't know of any OS X applications that handle interlaced VC-1. MakeMKV is ripping the content and not altering it(unless you tell it to) so I don't think it's MakeMKV corrupting the streams.

As for why an application might sometimes work, and sometimes not - I don't know. You might be able to divine why or why not from the Console logs.

SC