MakeMKV Mysteriously Stopped Working

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
mb42mb42

MakeMKV Mysteriously Stopped Working

Post by mb42mb42 »

Hello,

I began using MakeMKV about 6 weeks ago and everything worked great! I started off using it in combination with Handbrake and was 100% successful. Heck, I hadn't even opened the MakeMKV application. I had followed the instructions here http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ ... -handbrake and pointed Handbrake to the MakeMKV libraries. Again, all worked flawlessly.

However, about two weeks ago, I began experiencing many errors. Now, I am lucky if 50% of the blu rays work and I am plagued with the following problems:
1. Using Handbrake, I often end up with a finished m4v file that is maybe half of the movie. It plays fine, but it's only the first hour of a two hour movie, for example.
2. Using MakeMKV to produce a .mkv file I experience errors. The most common error is "Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR"

These symptoms are consistent from disc to disc, meaning, if a disc works, it works. If it does not, trying it again does not lead to success.

And nothing has changed in terms of HW or SW. I was stumped. So, being the good citizen I am, I purchased a license key - thinking my free trial had expired. That did not help. After reading more about the "Scsi error" and how that could be a problem with the drive, I replaced my blu ray drive. No improvement there either. Again, I do not know of anything that has changed to cause such an issue. I have tried re-installing MakeMKV, disconnecting all other USB devices. Nothing has helped.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you!

System Config:
iMac 2.8GHz i5, 12 GB RAM
OSX 10.9.5
MakeMKV 1.9.1 (Registered)
Handbrake 0.10.0
Blu Ray drive: Samsung SE-506 (I have two, brand new)