Ripping so slooow.

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
pscl227

Ripping so slooow.

Post by pscl227 »

Morning,

My very well specced mac did not originally have an optical drive so I was using an old Xbox HD-DVD drive and achieving around
4.0-5.0x while ripping DVDs.

I thought I would speed it up by buying an internal Pioneer BDC-207 which by all accounts does not have riplock, since installing I have not been able to rip at more than 2.0x on DVD and 3.4x on blu ray.

I cannot find anything on google that is in the slightest bit helpful and the iMovie trick mentioned on the other threads didn't work.

Any suggestions?

I am using the latest version of Yosemite.

Cheers,

P
pscl227

Re: Ripping so slooow.

Post by pscl227 »

So I put the drive in a windows 7 machine, and checked the info using Opti Drive Control, and it appears that when ANY commercial dvd movie is inserted the read speed is limited to only 2x.....any suggestions?

I havent been able to find a way to extract the firmware yet so I could edit it using MediaCodeSpeedEditor, so i am stuck!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What I'm seeing on Google searches are references to an "Auto Quiet Mode", which limits drive rotational speed to keep it from being noisy when reading audio and video disks. Speed tests I've seen so far tested the read speeds on DATA disks, not audio or video.

I saw reference to a Windows utility to disable that mode, but no links. It might be on the utility disk that ships with retail versions of the drive.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pscl227

Post by pscl227 »

I came across that and found the utility to disable it, however it didn't do a thing.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riplock

The only workaround I know of is to install a Riplock-free firmware on the drive.
Oestle

Post by Oestle »

Works for me with DVDs (no BluRay):
Open System Preferences -> CDs & DVDs
=> drive speed boosts up :D