Blu-ray/DVD drive locks up - requires reboot

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
michaelt

Blu-ray/DVD drive locks up - requires reboot

Post by michaelt »

Been hitting this for some time now (~year). If I leave the disc in the drive after a rip for a long time (?? ~10 min) it hangs. MakeMKV will not eject it, neither will the OS.

Maybe a related anomaly: I must load the disc before launching, wait a bit, rip, eject from MakeMKV (NOT the OS), change disc, load from OS. If I break this sequence, it gets hung. If I delay too long, it hangs.

Other than these, it works well but I would like to see the duration times for all tracks, not just the skipped.

nice work otherwise. thanx
Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Mac OS X ElCapitan 10.11.6 (15G1212)
32 GB Memory, 20+TB disk
Woodstock

Re: Blu-ray/DVD drive locks up - requires reboot

Post by Woodstock »

Sounds like the operating system is losing track of the drive.

Is it an external drive, connected by USB? A lot of times, they can be "reset" simply by unplugging them and plugging them back in.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
michaelt

Post by michaelt »

Woodstock wrote:Sounds like the operating system is losing track of the drive.
Doubtful - all my other apps work fine with it. No problems.
Is it an external drive, connected by USB? A lot of times, they can be "reset" simply by unplugging them and plugging them back in.
Nope - mounted in the lower bay just like the primary, direct, internal connect.
It's a MacPro tower with two drive bays.

FYI: posted earlier, still a problem, still no fix:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 079#p38079
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8847
32 GB Memory, 20+TB disk
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Other apps can control it AFTER it stops responding to MakeMKV? That is unusual...

It used to happen on one of my Windows machines. Stopped happening about the time I removed the PowerDVD from the machine, but that might just be a coincidence. It was NOT the reason I removed PowerDVD.
michaelt

Post by michaelt »

Woodstock wrote:Other apps can control it AFTER it stops responding to MakeMKV? That is unusual...
No - other apps have no problems with the drive before, during or after.
After MakeMKV gets it hung - reboot is only option.

I would be helpful if someone running 1.8+ could test this now.
I am in the process of bringing up another drive on 1.7 then jumping to 10.9 to test.

Edit:
  • once hung - nothing can access it, nothing
    something new - looks like OS X may be the cause. Loading and leaving for ??sec may be locking it up. Need more testing & will post back. If others could try it might confirm.
32 GB Memory, 20+TB disk
michaelt

[Resolved] Re: Blu-ray/DVD drive locks up - requires reboot

Post by michaelt »

Marked as Resolved, not Solved since it is Apple who must fix if they care.

Update: the hang is an Apple bug. If left too long, the current user will be hung and may not logout completely. Also if another user attempts to access or eject it, they are in the same condition.
As a positive note - I noticed when logging into another user (not fast user switching), the drive started to spin up. I was able to eject it and had control over it in the original user account. Got a work-around!

Bottom line: only load Blu-ray disks when you are ready to access them and eject immediately after done.
32 GB Memory, 20+TB disk
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Which version of OS X? Or is it old behavior that has never been addressed?

I suppose most people would not see if it they aren't using multiple users to access the machine.
michaelt

Post by michaelt »

Woodstock wrote:Which version of OS X? Or is it old behavior that has never been addressed?
It's in my signature below. I am in the process of bringing up another boot disk which will be a minimal configuration to test this and other problems (bugs?) I have seen. I will take it through the upgrades to the latest version. Stay tuned.
I suppose most people would not see if it they aren't using multiple users to access the machine.
Not really - it's about having multiple "user" accounts not 'users'. Having multiple "user accounts" is a must for any computer - one MUST keep admin and user activity separated. Plus for me I also use it to keep personal, and various projects from corrupting each other.

For those who have only one user account - reboot is the only option.
32 GB Memory, 20+TB disk
michaelt

Ping>> Blu-ray/DVD drive locks up - requires reboot

Post by michaelt »

Waking up this issue up again!
It is still there.

This system has been upgraded from Lion to El Capitan, same issue. Maybe worse - it also hung after a dvd rip waited too long to eject.
It hung using the original system drive (HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N, Firmware Revision: PQ06).

I believe the OS is holding a lock on the device, maybe due to the app not releasing or ??? However, even logging out, will not allow it to be ejected.

I'd like some help from other Mac users to do a test so we can get to the root cause. I have only one system to test it. I would like to eliminate this system as the problem or get it fixed.

To test it:
  • Open a DVD or Blu-ray
    Rip a title
    When done - do nothing.
    Let it sit about 5 or more minutes.
    Click the MakeMKV "Eject"
If it won't eject and the Mac keyboard eject won't eject it either - you hit the bug.

Please note your system hardware & software of not in your signature.

thanx
32 GB Memory, 20+TB disk
Nowhereman1223

Post by Nowhereman1223 »

I get what seems to be this bug, but it happens during ripping.

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" w/16GB Ram/512 GB SSD/OS X 10.12.3 and have used both a pioneer bdr-xdo5s and now a LG-be16nu50.

Used all available MAkeMKV versions to no avail.

I either get lockup of software and drive or "Uncorrectable Errors" that have all translated to a failing drive or disc. As I have used multiple discs and now a brand new drive (lg) I don't know what to do.

This all seemed to happen shortly after I purchased the software (I am sure it is a coincidence but still frustrating).
MacMini 2.3 Quad-Core i7
Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.3
16GB Memory 8TB RAID 1 Storage
michaelt

Post by michaelt »

Nowhereman1223 wrote:... happens during ripping.
not sure it is the same bug, but let's look deeper.
You are not alone - I have encountered a disc which hung everything up - had to force the power down.
I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" w/16GB Ram/512 GB SSD/OS X 10.12.3 and have used both a pioneer bdr-xdo5s and now a LG-be16nu50.

Used all available MAkeMKV versions to no avail.
I am one rev behind you (10.11.6) and those were good moves.
I either get lockup of software and drive or "Uncorrectable Errors" that have all translated to a failing drive or disc. As I have used multiple discs and now a brand new drive (lg) I don't know what to do.
A few questions:
1 - do you have to 'Shut Down' (Power off) to get the disc ejected?
2 - do some discs rip OK?
3 - what UPCs (titles) hang?
4 - DVD or Blu-ray? (assume BR based on drives)
5 - when "Uncorrectable Errors" happen, how long before you try something?
6 - did you try the 'cancel' button before it hung?
7 - have you tried a good disc and just letting it sit when done? (don't make any actions for >15min)

If a disc is giving you trouble, 'cancel' should work if you catch it early.
Blu-ray discs on a Mac will definitely hang the system if not ejected immediately when MKV is "done" with it.
Not sure if this is a bug or a "feature".

Note: debug help tips:
1 - create a directory on the Volume where you will save the clip called 'tmp' (temporary).
2 - in MKV Preferences set this path in: Preferences->Video->Default Destination: Custom <pathname>
3 - open a finder window looking at this 'tmp' directory. You can see what is happening.
4 - 'cancel' or 'eject' may take seconds to complete (I have seen upwards of ~10sec)

PS: are you comfortable in a Terminal window scripting?
32 GB Memory, 20+TB disk