Difference in Quality after ripping

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
zaidshakil

Difference in Quality after ripping

Post by zaidshakil »

I have tested with PowerDVD, Total Media Theater and PotPlayer. The quality in ripped version is significantly different. I want to know the reason and if there is a way to fix the quality loss ?

left side is directly off the bluray and right side is ripped version

Quality of PowerDVD is even more mind blowing but it doesn't allow screenshot so can't post. If someone wants to see the video capture of both. I will be happy to that as well.

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Difference in Quality after ripping

Post by Woodstock »

Since the video stream in the MKV file is the same as the one on the original disk (except for decryption), differences in playback are tied to the player.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
zaidshakil

Post by zaidshakil »

Woodstock wrote:Since the video stream in the MKV file is the same as the one on the original disk (except for decryption), differences in playback are tied to the player.
I have tested with the same application and there is still a big difference between the two. Ripped one has washed out colors. Black isn't true black etc
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Doesn't matter since MakeMKV does not touch the video.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Make sure your playback software uses the same parameters when playing MKV files as it does BD direct. And what happens when you do a backup, rather than open/save, and the software is playing the M2TS files directly?
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

Programs like PowerDVD will often have a 'DVD / BluRay' mode (IIRC, it is TrueTheater mode for PowerDVD). This post-processes the file further to augment colours for optical media. The same settings may not be enabled for standalone MKV files.

Best way to tell is to check the mkv in one program vs another, and compare the outputs. VLC won't post-process too much automatically, whereas PowerDVD may. Same file, but vastly different playback quality. My WDTV post-processes, and looks far superior as compared to VLC on the same screen.
Uwe_Arndt

Post by Uwe_Arndt »

Hi,

i have a different question also according to the ripping Quality :

I use 2 Tools : Makemkv and Laewo Blueray To MKV Converter. I can see on every ripped blueray video track a file size difference about 12 percent between the two Tools, while Makemkv is creating the smaller files. For Example the Star Wars Collection (9 Blue Rays) is displayed in MakeMKV having about 40 GB for the main movie on every Disc, but when i extract it using makemkv i get files about 32-33 GB (one Audio language) or 37 GB (All Audio languages and all subtitles). If i do the same with Leawo i get 36 GB for one Language and 40 GB for all languages and all subtitles.

How can these file size differences be explained? To avoid being confused by the skipping of maybe hidden tracks in one of the Tools i just tried the same extraction with only the intro track (the moving text with the Episode description). Makemkv creates a 510 MB file, while Leawo creates a 572 MB file.

With MediaInfo i can see that both Tools are using different mpeg4 compressors but can this make a difference, if both do not touch the original Video Content?
Anything else seems to be equal, Sound bit rate, Frame rate, etc.

Is Makemkv compressing the mpeg4 output somehow ?

Many thanks in advance!
Uwe Arndt
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

With MakeMKV, there is no change in the video compression between the DVD/BD and the MKV file. Whatever codec was used on the disk is what is in the MKV file.

No clue what the other program is doing. It may be re-encoding the video, with bad settings.
James

Post by James »

actually, i used to use makemkv, but it was not powerful as i thought, it always affect me to use other programs, i don't know why, i think i am a little poor because i downloaded another program avi converter but it could not support linux :( so, who can help me convert my avi videos to mp4 :|
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not sure what you're referring to as "power" - MakeMKV isn't intended to convert stuff beyond copying it off of optical media to your machine as MKV files. Beyond that, you need other tools. And MakeMKV does NOTHING for AVI files - it doesn't read them OR write them.

If you're looking for cross-platform conversion after your rip, there are a number of tools, at a variety of prices. Like handbrake (from handbrake.fr), or the command-line based ffmpeg, which is the basis for a number of open-source (and free) projects.

But handbrake won't write AVI files... But some of us consider AVI to be a broken "standard" anyway, so it isn't a big loss.