UHD rips stutter and artifacts on screen

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Frizzgrig

UHD rips stutter and artifacts on screen

Post by Frizzgrig »

I tried backing up 3 UHD titles:

Dune, Scrooged, The Last Starfighter

All play on the computer with VLC, jellyfin in a web window. When I try to play them on my Hisense Android 4k TV (65H9G) or thru my Panasonic DP-UB820 I get severe stutter, and blocky artifacts on screen. I've also tried copying the mkv file to a USB 3.0 stick and have the same results.

Suggestions on resolving the playback issues to my TV or thru the UHD player?
dmdmmatt4

Re: UHD rips stutter and artifacts on screen

Post by dmdmmatt4 »

We assume you are playing the full bandwidth original files with no recompression .. do you actually have the available bandwidth to do this?
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

Frizzgrig wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:59 pm
All play on the computer with VLC, jellyfin in a web window. When I try to play them on my Hisense Android 4k TV (65H9G) or thru my Panasonic DP-UB820 I get severe stutter, and blocky artifacts on screen. I've also tried copying the mkv file to a USB 3.0 stick and have the same results.

Suggestions on resolving the playback issues to my TV or thru the UHD player?
You're talking about a REMUX right, often very large file sizes, increasingly so if you decide to keep multiple audio streams and subtitles, you've not encoded your rips? Have you tried a powered USB drive via your TV's media player or Panasonic UHD player instead of a bog standard USB drive/stick, saw someone mention a similar problem sometime back, audio/video sync issues until they used a powered USB drive.
Windows:
Identifying The Correct Title To Rip: Process Monitor Method - GetMPLS Method
Mux/Remux: Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced)
Frizzgrig

Post by Frizzgrig »

Just an update. I finally had some time to work on this. Network bandwidth was the issue. The TV and Blu-ray player both only support 100Mbps on the wired connection. The counter intuitive solution was to go WiFi. The Blu-ray player and TV support WiFi 5 (802.11ac) and a 5Ghz 80Mhz channel did the trick.

Moral of the story, just because your wired infrastructure is 1Gbs or greater doesn't mean your client devices are.