How to split episodes

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Sgt Hartman

How to split episodes

Post by Sgt Hartman »

Hello,

I was trying to extract some episodes from a BD Disk but reading the index file it gives me a single video file. In stream folder I can clearly see the 4 episodes in .m2ts format.

What can I do to obtain 4 mkv files?

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: How to split episodes

Post by Woodstock »

Most likely, if you selected "Open" and create MKV files from the disk, instead of doing "Backup", you would see the separate episodes.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Sgt Hartman

Post by Sgt Hartman »

Woodstock wrote:Most likely, if you selected "Open" and create MKV files from the disk, instead of doing "Backup", you would see the separate episodes.
Sorry, my bad, I didn't explained properly. The disk is copied on my NAS so I'm working with it. I oped the file index.bdmv getting the "merged" file.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ah, OK...

You might consider using handbrake (handbrake.fr) and telling it to encode ranges of chapters. It will also compress the video.
Sgt Hartman

Post by Sgt Hartman »

Woodstock wrote:You might consider using handbrake (handbrake.fr) and telling it to encode ranges of chapters. It will also compress the video.
Is it possible for handbrake to convert directly the m2ts file in mkv format, lossless? If yes are guides available?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Theoretically, you can configure handbrake to "lossless" video compression, but... the file will most likely end up being bigger; What is on the BD is already compressed in a LOSSY manner. Any subsequent processing is going to "expand video, then compress what you got from the expansion".

mkvmerge from the mkvtoolnix utilities can read m2ts files as input, and write MKV files. If the files are already decrypted, it should be "fast and effective, when used as directed." :wink:

If you don't already have mkvtoolnix, I recommend you check whatever you download from their official download site, because the host for the "latest version", fosshub.com, was compromised in 2016, and the major antivirus programs still flag anything downloaded from there. I personally use the "older versions" link BACK to the author's site, "just in case".