Play Uncompressed MKV with PGS

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
knight41

Play Uncompressed MKV with PGS

Post by knight41 »

Hi everyone,

What is the best way to watch full Blu-ray rips w/ subtitles or MKV w/ PGS without doing any transcoding or compression on my tv? I have four devices I'd like to be able to watch my movies.

1) PC, easy I use MPC. Full support after downloading codec.

2)Android, I use Plex direct stream to MX player. Full support after downloading codec.

3) Chromeos, Impossible as far as I know. Plex web player has to transcode bc it's on chrome. Let me know otherwise.

4) Roku TV, Plex sort of works. I can watch direct stream movies w/o subtitles. However subtitles requre transcoding.

I don't watch to convert anything with regards to the video or audio with the exception of somehow burning subtitles to a file without changing anything else. I'd also really like to not have to buy anything but I'm open to the idea, especially since I'm selling my PS4 :)

I greatly appreciate any feedback, thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Play Uncompressed MKV with PGS

Post by Woodstock »

MKV support on "smart" TVs is spotty, at best.

My older Samsung will play most of them, so long as I change the file name to use "AVI" as the extension, instead of "MKV". It won't even acknowledge that "SomeMovie.mkv" exists, but renaming it to "SomeMovie.avi" and it plays with no other change. The newer Samsung tries to play MKV files, but the audio loses sync very quickly. And neither will do PGS subtitles.

If you're planning on using a smart TV, a Plex server powerful enough to do transcoding would be a good thing to set up.

For TV playback, I have an KDLinks A300 player that feeds the TV, and treat the TV as "just" a monitor, same as you are doing with the PS4. It supports PGS subtitles and just about every video codec I've hit it with, and it will do 2160p if I plug one of my 4K monitors into it. The only thing I dislike about it is that I have to use one application (Kodi) for video with DVD subtitles, and another (the android media player) for PGS subtitles.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Re: Play Uncompressed MKV with PGS

Post by Chetwood »

I have yet to see a Smart TV that supports image subtitles like PGS.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch