No Subtitles in Movies (BD)

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
RolandD

No Subtitles in Movies (BD)

Post by RolandD »

Hi,

the Options are activated, but the Subtitles aren´t there when i look the movie. I´ve used 4 Tools to view the movies.

Can anyone help me please?

Roland
Woodstock

Re: No Subtitles in Movies (BD)

Post by Woodstock »

Do you have debug logging turned on? Did MakeMKV find subtitles? Are the applications you tested with "PGS-aware" applications, that know how to deal with the special format BD uses for subtitles?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
RolandD

Post by RolandD »

Do you have debug logging turned on? i´m not shure. i´ll check it.

Did MakeMKV find subtitles? Yes...all of them.

Are the applications you tested with "PGS-aware" applications, that know how to deal with the special format BD uses for subtitles? VLC / Nero-Videoplayer / Windows-Media Player and DivX-Player. i´m not sure if the tools can it.

i´m sorry..but my english isn´t very well :D
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Do you have a "preferred language" set? If so, MakeMKV will only select audio and subtitle tracks that have that language in their properties.

You can see what MakeMKV selects by clicking on the little triangle next to title in the left menu, and it will show the tracks within that title. The ones that MakeMKV selected will have check marks next to them.
Tayvl

Post by Tayvl »

There are times when I just want to see English subtitles because I couldn't understand someone's accent in the movie, which would be like closed-captioning, but even though I have all the English subtitle boxes checked when decoding, there's never any subtitles available when I play the movies. I check "English" under the subtitles menu while playing the movie, but it changes nothing. What am I doing wrong here?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Tayvl, what are you using for playback? Not all players can play Bluray PGS subtitles.

You can check that the tracks are present by using a program that "understands" just about all subtitle formats, like VLC. When playing, you can select all of the individual tracks in a video file, to see which one is correct for your purpose.

If you can see and play the PGS subtitles in VLC, then you need to figure out why your preferred player isn't seeing them. If VLC cannot see them, then you need to figure out why MakeMKV isn't saving them to the MKV file.

Also be aware that some players that CAN play PGS subtitles will not see them if you're using DLNA ("Plug'n'Play") networking. I can play the same file on the same player from the same media server, but the subtitles will not be available if I use DLNA sharing. I have not investigated why, but it happens.
Tayvl

Post by Tayvl »

Woodstock wrote:Tayvl, what are you using for playback? Not all players can play Bluray PGS subtitles.

You can check that the tracks are present by using a program that "understands" just about all subtitle formats, like VLC. When playing, you can select all of the individual tracks in a video file, to see which one is correct for your purpose.

If you can see and play the PGS subtitles in VLC, then you need to figure out why your preferred player isn't seeing them. If VLC cannot see them, then you need to figure out why MakeMKV isn't saving them to the MKV file.

Also be aware that some players that CAN play PGS subtitles will not see them if you're using DLNA ("Plug'n'Play") networking. I can play the same file on the same player from the same media server, but the subtitles will not be available if I use DLNA sharing. I have not investigated why, but it happens.
Thanks for the reply. I'm using VLC on my computer to play the files. The subtitles are in the drop-down menu and I can select them, but they never show up. No idea what the problem is.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV will remove subtitle tracks that actually are empty, so the fact that they show up in VLC indicates that they aren't.

The other possibility is subtitles that are intended to be displayed in the "letterbox area"; When dealing with video that isn't "16x9", a lot of disk authors will put the subtitles in the black bars. Everything is fine until something removes the black bars... Is VLC displaying the movie in a letterbox (black border) ?