MakeMKV not listing detected .VOB's correctly.

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
DWreck1995

MakeMKV not listing detected .VOB's correctly.

Post by DWreck1995 »

Hi,

I have a couple of anime discs from my Dragon Ball collection that I ripped to ISO format. Now the discs with a problem happen to be Dragon Ball Season 1 Disc 2 and 4. If I browse for this ISO in MakeMKV it will show all .VOB files separately instead of being combined into one segment. I've attached examples showing this. Normally it would list 2, one being slightly longer than the other. That's because Dragon Ball lets you play two different versions so that's expected. However the other one I don't know how to fix, it will not combine them. All the other discs work fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
DWreck1995
Attachments
Example 2.PNG
Example 2.PNG (67.61 KiB) Viewed 13358 times
Example.PNG
Example.PNG (78.49 KiB) Viewed 13358 times
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV not listing detected .VOB's correctly.

Post by Woodstock »

If you're going to post screen shots, it's actually better to shrink the MakeMKV window back to "standard" before you do the snapshot, so it isn't so hard to read your message...

Without knowing what you used to make the ISOs, not really.

Are you opening the ISO file, or are you mounting the ISO as a drive, and opening that?

It is entirely possible the disks were authored differently - If they're "originals" or "reissues" (rather than remastered releases), they would have been issued months apart, so disk authoring can be wildly different. I've seen that with Bleach, where some disks will just have the "all episodes in one file", others will only have "one file per episode", and a few have "one file with all episodes, but also one file per episode".

Although the authoring on the S1 D1 disk looks weird - it was a dual-layer DVD, with two "file sets" using the same data. I'd guess that the second, 22-chapter file is missing the title, credit, and "next time" segments from each.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
DWreck1995

Post by DWreck1995 »

Woodstock wrote:If you're going to post screen shots, it's actually better to shrink the MakeMKV window back to "standard" before you do the snapshot, so it isn't so hard to read your message...

Without knowing what you used to make the ISOs, not really.

Are you opening the ISO file, or are you mounting the ISO as a drive, and opening that?

It is entirely possible the disks were authored differently - If they're "originals" or "reissues" (rather than remastered releases), they would have been issued months apart, so disk authoring can be wildly different. I've seen that with Bleach, where some disks will just have the "all episodes in one file", others will only have "one file per episode", and a few have "one file with all episodes, but also one file per episode".

Although the authoring on the S1 D1 disk looks weird - it was a dual-layer DVD, with two "file sets" using the same data. I'd guess that the second, 22-chapter file is missing the title, credit, and "next time" segments from each.
Yes sorry I didn't realize it would place the attachments in the post. It didn't when I created it. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

I used AnyDVD HD with ImgBurn to create the ISO files. I've tried mounting the ISO as well as opening the ISO and get the same result.

I should point out that when loading the ISO in another program that does the same thing (as in merge the VOB files to make one playable segment) it does work. My media server Mezzmo as an example can pull and combine VOB files to make one playable movie. It does it with disc 1 and disc 2 successfully. HandBrake can also see the 2 playable segments successfully. So I know its not a flaw in the ISO. It's only MakeMKV that has displayed this behavior.

You are correct with the authoring for disc 1. You see the Dragon Ball series allows you to play two versions of the same content. One including the opening and ending credits of each episode, and another containing just one opening in the beginning and one credit roll at the end with all episodes uninterrupted. That is why it shows two of them and one is shorter than the other. There are a total of 25 discs for the Dragon Ball series and those were the only two with the problem.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

At this point, the best recommendation I can make is to follow the procedures in the FAQ link in my signature, and send the information to support@makemkv.com for evaluation. It may be that it can be "fixed" with a "manual dvd" string to force MakeMKV to separate the large files into individual episodes.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
DWreck1995

Post by DWreck1995 »

Woodstock wrote:At this point, the best recommendation I can make is to follow the procedures in the FAQ link in my signature, and send the information to support@makemkv.com for evaluation. It may be that it can be "fixed" with a "manual dvd" string to force MakeMKV to separate the large files into individual episodes.
Okay, I will send an email. It's disappointing I encountered this problem as I know no other way to convert the ISO to a playable MKV without transcoding. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed. Thanks for the help.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

MakeMKV detected a series disc and split each episodes into individual file.
So you want all episodes from the disc 2 to be combined as a single file? You can do this with DVD manual mode - http://www.makemkv.com/manualdvd/ . You will figure out the cell numbers, I can do it for you if you send the IFO files per http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8/category/6
DWreck1995

Post by DWreck1995 »

mike admin wrote:MakeMKV detected a series disc and split each episodes into individual file.
So you want all episodes from the disc 2 to be combined as a single file? You can do this with DVD manual mode - /manualdvd/ . You will figure out the cell numbers, I can do it for you if you send the IFO files per /faq/item/8/category/6
Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me. Normally since it was only happening with two discs I would just go ahead and ask you to do those two for me if you could. But now that I've gotten to my Blu-ray versions it's doing that for every disk in the series. I'd hate to ask you to process so many discs for me. Maybe if you could so me an example of how to fix it on one of the discs I could apply the same process to all of them and save you the trouble? In case it interests you, besides the two already mentioned which are both DVD, the total number of Blu-rays having the issue I've tested so far are 36 discs.
DWreck1995

Post by DWreck1995 »

I just did some more digging for the Blu-ray rips and found that MakeMKV is "skipping" the .mpls containing the correct playlist. It says "Title 00041.mpls is equal to title 00009.mpls and was skipped". In this case 00041.mpls is not equal to 0009.mpls as 0041.mpls is 03:17:52 and 0009.mpls is only 00:24:13 but MakeMKV is skipping it anyway.