Playing back 4K Disc Rips with Lossless Audio

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
solidus28

Playing back 4K Disc Rips with Lossless Audio

Post by solidus28 »

Locked in favor of existing topic here: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17196

Hi, All! What are people using to playback their 4K rips? And are you setup with 4K, HDR, & Lossless Audio across your network/LAN?

I've never had (and still don't have) any issues with BD rips, but in my attempt to move into 4K, I have a small, but critical issue. I attempted to move to an Nvidia Shield TV when I started ripping my 4K collection as my previous HTPC was only 1080p capable. I've been using Emby for years, but am totally open to other thoughts. When I try to play my 4K disc MKVs across my gigabit network on my Shield, I encounter several sub second audio drops throughout movies, no visible video anomalies. Doesn't seem to matter if it's Atmos/DTSX or just standard TrueHD/DTSHD MA. Again, my blu ray rips with all those same audio tracks never exhibit any issues. Same issue seems to occur in Kodi if I play over the network. If I copy the movies to my local storage on the Shield, Kodi seems to play them without issue.

I've tried two different hosts/servers. I can copy data across the network at over 100MB/s, well above the bitrate of a 4k movie. When I check network, cpu, and disk utilization on my server, they are typically under 10% while trying to play these movies. I've been posting on Nvidia and Emby forums, but not getting a lot of response and only some speculation there may be some "buffer" issue that an app developer may need to increase. I see people reporting similar symptoms on Plex, Kodi, Emby, etc.

Question to you all since I'm assuming someone using MakeMKV is ripping their 4K collection and has a setup to take advantage of all it has to offer. How are you sharing and playing your MKVs? Have you experienced any of these issues since moving to 4K disc rips?