How to create Dolby Vision and Atmos MP4 file?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
OmegaLol21

How to create Dolby Vision and Atmos MP4 file?

Post by OmegaLol21 »

I recently just ripped Across the Spider-Verse and I want to try to play it back with the highest quality (really with every movie I have ripped), which includes making use of the Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos tracks found in these discs. I will end up eventually getting a good quality Blu-Ray player for this purpose but for now, I have my PC and Jellyfin. After some research, I found that it's only possible to play back Dolby Vision with Jellyfin and other similar clients with MP4 encoded rips? I have MKV's of my movies and from my understanding, they are DoVi profile 7 which can't be played back with most (if not all i think?) video players, and only profile 5 and 8 are supported.

What is the process of extracting the HEVC from the MKV, converting it to profile 5 or 8, extracting the Atmos audio tracks, and then put all that in a MP4 container? I also want to try to include multiple audio tracks and a subtitle if possible.

So far, I've tried the following:

- Using 'mkvextract', extracted the HEVC track, the Atmos track, other language audio track, chapters, subtitles, tags into separate files. ("video.hevc", "atmos.eac3", "spanish.ac3", "english.sup", "chapters.xml", don't know if the extensions matter?)
- I forgot what commands I used, but it was for sure something along the lines of "mkvextract chapters chapters.xml tags tags.xml" and "mkvextract tracks 0:video.hevc 1:atmos.eac3 ..."
- Then, using "dovi_tool", converted the HEVC track to profile 8: "dovi_tool -m 2 convert --discard video.hevc"
- Using "mp4box", tried adding everything together (video.hevc, atmos.eac3, spanish.ac3, english.srt (the sup was converted to srt), chapters.xml) and while it was working, it got stuck on something along the lines of "hevc stream uses forward..." for hours

The only part I've been getting stuck on is copying everything to a MP4 container. Any ideas on how to achieve this if possible, or what I'm doing wrong (maybe everything I'm doing is wrong or is a waste of time)?
ancient

Re: How to create Dolby Vision and Atmos MP4 file?

Post by ancient »

I was under the impression the Nvidia Shield plays profile 7 ?
OmegaLol21

Re: How to create Dolby Vision and Atmos MP4 file?

Post by OmegaLol21 »

ancient wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:17 am
I was under the impression the Nvidia Shield plays profile 7 ?
No, as far as I'm aware, it only supports profile 5 (and 8 I think?). It can playback profile 7 but it discards the enhancement layer which would just make it profile 5. I'm not too sure though. I don't have an Nvidia Shield to test it out anyways.