MKVs problems with some Blurays on Panasonic TV

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
redbean

MKVs problems with some Blurays on Panasonic TV

Post by redbean »

Hi!

I converted a few BD Discs with Makemkv. I watched them with the integrated Media Server of my Panasonic TV. No Problems.

But with several Discs like Elysium and 2 Guns it is not possible to watch them in a smooth way. Its stuttering. Additional there are pixel fragments on top of the movie. My Philips TV have no problems. Is this a failure in the makemkv software?

During the converting I have no Bug reports.
Woodstock

Re: MKVs problems with some Blurays on Panasonic TV

Post by Woodstock »

If one TV can play it but the other cannot, it is not very likely to be MakeMKV's issue, but that is still a possibility.

But check your network connectivity; BD video has a high bandwidth requirement, and the difference may simply be that the link to the Panasonic isn't fast enough. I ran into this often when using wireless connections. Short of putting an access point AT each TV, wireless sucked... and, if there's wire to put an access point close to the TV, plugging the TV directly in to it makes more sense.

A test would be to put the movie that stutters onto a flash drive, and plug that directly into a USB port on the TV. That completely eliminates the network from the problem.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
redbean

Post by redbean »

I use LAN and i have The Same Problems with a external hdd on The panasonic.
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

As has been stated, BD Movie is a high data-rate file. It doesn't help that MKV's require higher processor operations to read and play on screen. If it is working on some and not others, it may be that it just can't keep up with the data rate of that movie. It could also be that the Panasonic TV's CPU can't keep up, or isn't enough RAM to store the optimal amount of buffer on it.

You can try using Handbrake (the nightly build is recommended), and see if that helps. Handbrake is a video file encoder, which will shrink the mkv's video (and audio, if desired) track down to a more manageable size (ie 30gb -> less than 10gb) which could help if it is a network problem, as less data will be sent across the network.
redbean

Post by redbean »

Compressing is no Solution