BD subtitles (bdpg)

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Dietmar.Harms

BD subtitles (bdpg)

Post by Dietmar.Harms »

When I playback a file created by MakeMKV with VLC and have the information about the streams displayed, VLC says there are three subtitle streams in the file, their type is "BD subtitles (bdpg)". When I playback the same file with my BD player (Samsung HT-F5550) the player says "There are no subtitles in this file". I suppose the player - though it is a brandnew one - can't read this type of subtitle :-(

Can I somehow ask MakeMKV to save/convert the subtitles into a different more common format my BD player is supposed to know?

Best wishes,
Dietmar :-)
ndjamena

Re: BD subtitles (bdpg)

Post by ndjamena »

Extract the subtitles using MKVCleaver:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsear ... me&hits=50

Then convert them to SRT format with SubExtractor or Subtitle Edit (I prefer SubExtractor):
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsear ... me&hits=50

Your player may play the srt subtitles, it might not, if it doesn't you can convert the SRT subtitles to VobSub subtitles using Subtitle Edit:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subtitle-Edit

(the manual lists *.ttxt, *.smi, *.srt, *.sub, *.txt as the supported 'DivX' subtitles? So either SRT or VobSub should work.)
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

You dont need extract subtitles first. You can directly import mkv files into Subtitle Edit.

You can use *.srt but then you will lose any formatations
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I like to have the original subtitles in a little file in case I screw something up. I do the same with the Audio. But you're right.
Dietmar.Harms

Post by Dietmar.Harms »

Dazkine wrote:You dont need extract subtitles first. You can directly import mkv files into Subtitle Edit.

You can use *.srt but then you will lose any formatations
This program only runs on Windows. Is there something similar/recommendable for Mac OS X?

Best, Dietmar
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The name "Subler" comes up a lot on other forums.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Dietmar.Harms

Post by Dietmar.Harms »

Woodstock wrote:The name "Subler" comes up a lot on other forums.
I tried Subler and it works :-) - but only for my Mac, not for my BluRay player.

I want to see the forced subtitles from "Game of Thrones" when the actors talk in a foreign language.

From the *.mkv I created a *.m4v video with Subler (with "Forced" set to "Some subtitles are forced") and played the hereby created video back with VLC. This works fine, VLC displays only the forced subtitles. But my BluRay player (Samsung HT-F5550) does not recognize the file format *.m4v.

So I did the same steps but created a *.mp4 movie with Subler. VLC same result, BluRay player recognizes the file format and plays it back, but when I try to display the subtitles it says "file contains not subtitles".

I guess I am missing some extra steps here (from the descriptions above) but can't figure out which are those. Can someone push me in the right direction?

Best, Dietmar
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The problem with the concept of "forced" subtitles is that, while there is a flag that can be set to mark as particular subtitle as "should be shown even when playing the dub", few titles use it. They either have a separate track with these forced subtitles, burn them into the video, or ignore the idea entirely. With well over 1000 titles sitting in boxes, I have ONE movie, Avatar, that uses the forced flag. And 95% of what I own is Japanese, so I see a lot of subtitles. :)
Dietmar.Harms

Post by Dietmar.Harms »

I understand :-)

But ... ;-) the file created with MakeMKV contains 2 subtitle streams with codec bdpg.

The file created from this with Subler contains 1 subtitle stream with codec tx3g. This one is a normal subtitle track (at least I suppose) wich only contains the forced subtitles! I can switch on/off the subtitle track in the menu with the same name in VLC, and in case of "on" only the former forced subtitles are displayed.

But ... ;-) my BluRay player says "there are no subtitles". So it doesn't even recognize the existing subtitle file.

The manual of the BluRay player (Samsung HT-F 5550) states:
Supported DivX subtitle file formats *.ttxt, *.smi, *.srt, *.sub, *.txt

So I think maybe I have to convert the subtitles into one of these formats? Though I don't really know the difference between these formats and blog and tx3g, maybe even one is the container of the other?!

If someone knows how subtitles work and how I can get them into a format my BluRay player can read ... any help greatly appreciated :-)))

Best, Dietmar
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Your BD player should handle the "bdpg" subtitles, because that's the "native" Bluray PGS format.

As far as what the Samsung supports, this:
Supported DivX subtitle file formats *.ttxt, *.smi, *.srt, *.sub, *.txt

probably refers to subtitle files that are not included as tracks within the main file, but actual files in the same directory as the main file. They should have the same name as the movie, with one of those extensions.

That is, if the movie name is "Bob's Day Off.mkv", the SRT subtitle file name would be "Bob's Day Off.srt".
Dietmar.Harms

Post by Dietmar.Harms »

A technician from Samsung stated that my BluRay player HT-F5550 can play subtitles in the following formats:

ssa (substation alpha)
asa (advanced substation alpha)
subtil
vobsub

Can someone recommend a tool for Mac to convert subtitles into one of the formats listed above?

Best, Dietmar
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are a couple of tools out there that will convert PGS to VOBSUB.

You might want to do a search on "Subler" for the Mac.