cant move the MKV file

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
roy677

cant move the MKV file

Post by roy677 »

sorry if this been posted already. when i use makemkv and try to move the file to an external hdd it said that the file was to big. it was only 3 gig file and the usb flash drive was empty and has an 8 gig capacity. this happens almost all the time (BUT NOT ALWAYS) to me I dont get what i'm doing wrong can someone please help me
ndjamena

Re: cant move the MKV file

Post by ndjamena »

FAT32 has a 2gig file size limit. Reformat the Flash Drive as NTFS or an equivalent Linux file system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ems#Limits
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Never seen a drive formatted to FAT32 without LFS so the limit's actually 4 GB (not that it would make a difference in this case).
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

roy677 wrote:sorry if this been posted already. when i use makemkv and try to move the file to an external hdd it said that the file was to big. it was only 3 gig file and the usb flash drive was empty and has an 8 gig capacity. this happens almost all the time (BUT NOT ALWAYS) to me I dont get what i'm doing wrong can someone please help me
By 'moving the file' do you mean Targeting MakeMKVs output to the drive? How far into the process does the message appear?

We'll need more details, define 'not always'. What OS are you using and does it happen with all file sizes? What File System does it use? Does it fail when you are moving it to an external HDD, the 8 gig Flash drive or both???

(I'm using MakeMKV to rip a 3gb BD title to a 16g FAT32 flash drive at the moment and it's working fine so far[win8.1/64])
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The other consideration is whether or not the file name contained characters that are illegal under the naming rules of the file system. There are characters that are legal under NTFS that aren't under FAT16 or FAT32.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
roy677

Post by roy677 »

By 'moving the file' do you mean Targeting MakeMKVs output to the drive? How far into the process does the message appear? I save to the hard drive first, with no problem. It happens as soon as I right click and try to send it to USB or copy and past

We'll need more details, define 'not always'i think it only does it when I Chang something the mkv picks by default,,, like MKV always picks subtitle but I sometimes don't want subtitles so I uncheck it . What OS are you using win7 64 bit and does it happen with all file sizes? I have not seen a preferance in the file size What File System does it use? not shore what file system it uses just that it's saved in computer hdd first that ntfs but the USB might be a fat 16 or 32 Does it fail when you are moving it to an external HDD, the 8 gig Flash drive or both??? once make mkv saves it the first time I can't move it to anything

(I'm using MakeMKV to rip a 3gb BD title to a 16g FAT32 flash drive at the moment and it's working fine so far[win8.1/64])

one time I noticed that this was happening and so I re-did it with out changing any sub options same movie from same original source. I was able to move it just fine

The USB is fat32 .... Update
roy677

Post by roy677 »

update

Just tried doing it without taking out subtitles and it still didn't work so that is not the key. i dont know what happened it was working fine a couple of weeks ago.
roy677

Post by roy677 »

:D :D :D :D :D

i found the problem guys thanks for your help it was that the file was more than 4 gigs and it was fat32 so i just re-formatted it to NTFS and is working fine now thank for all your help

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: