change mkv with wrongly lablled aspect ratio without convert

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
speedyallan77

change mkv with wrongly lablled aspect ratio without convert

Post by speedyallan77 »

now before i start,,,i beg of u,please please please....read the whole thing carefully before giving any vague answers.unless u read my whole description properly,u wont undertsand the problem that i am facing and what i need.i tried many forums,and many people without even understanding gave me dumb answers.i know there is a way to do what i need but unless some professional helps me here there is no use.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE PROBLEM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi guys i have a 12gb mkv rip of the movie 10000 BC which my friend ripped for me on my pc from my bluray disc when he came to my house before i planned to sell my blurays movies but i guess he wrongly labelled it when he used some tool to create an mkv from the bluray disc.

but this movie is not full HD as the correct resolution of the movie is 1920x800 and not 1920x1080 as when i see it on tv it has black bars on top and bottom.the movies with these black bars are usually labelled as 1920x800 for the 1080p versions and 1920x500 for the720p versions.how this 1920x800 labelling helps in video players is that i can zoom the movie(not stretch but normal zoom,in which i will lose part of the image of both sides after zooming but im used to it and im ok with it,please dont ask why),if the movie is labelled as 1920x800 while i check the media info,the video players that i use on my pc will detect its height and width and i can zoom with the zoom option in the video players.but if the same movie with black bars is labelled as 1920x1080 despite having black bars,the players wont do anything when i select the zoom option,so i will have to end up watching the movie with black bars.so i want a work around for this without converting my movie with a video converter.or if possible to use the make mkv tool to achieve this.
what i exactly want to do is,somehow change the wrong labelling of 1920x1080 of the movie into 1920x800 without losing any quality.i want to preserve the original quality of the movie same like how we can attach subtitles to an mkv movie by using muxing in make mkv and it just attaches the file or edits certain properties but the original quality of the movie is preserved.this is what i want to do but at the same time make it 1920x800 so i can zoom in video players and watch.
now i dont have access to my original bluray disc as i sold so i cannot re rip the movie.so i want you to help me with a way to change the wrong labels using the existing copy of my movie.

now please dont ask me a question like why would i want to watch the movie this way by zooming when the director intended for everyone to watch the movie with black bars and wide screen in 16:9 ,please!!!! please dont!!! im ok with it,please dont ask that question,this is the answer i have recieved everywhere instead of useful instructions.everyone has their own personal preferences.i just want you to help me with how to correctly label the movie.
Woodstock

Re: change mkv with wrongly lablled aspect ratio without con

Post by Woodstock »

When you rip data from a BD, the video data is 1920x1080, because that's what the BD standard says it is. The actual movie area may be less than that - I have a lot of stuff that is 1440x1080 for the video - but the raw BD and the MKV made from it say the video is 1920x1080. Those black bars are actually part of the BD data stream. And, while there are tools that will let you change what the header says the video resolution is, that doesn't change the real resolution.

If you play the video with something like VLC, it will recognize the black bars, and suppress them. There are programs out there (such as Handbrake) that will convert the video to its actual resolution, stripping out the black bars. And you can crop the video to a particular aspect ratio with most of them.

In any case, watching the video on a 1920 wide screen with the black bars is your "crispest" view; any scaling/zooming done to take the bars out of the display area is losing part of the picture, and things get less sharp because the pixels in the video aren't exactly the same sizes as the pixels on the display.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ndjamena

Re: change mkv with wrongly lablled aspect ratio without con

Post by ndjamena »

The Matroska file format does have it's own cropping elements in it's headers, if you open the files in MMGs header editor and look at the video streams elements it's possible you could add the cropping values there for any player that understands them. The problem is, most, if not all, hardware players will simply ignore those values and play the files as instructed by the stream. Otherwise you have no choice but to re-encode the videos, and since there's no official format that encodes HD in non 16:9 aspect ratios you must already have plenty of re-encoded blu rays which apparently you think are just fine.