No Audio from Blu Ray Disc

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
bgb30

No Audio from Blu Ray Disc

Post by bgb30 »

Hi,

Hoping somebody can explain and provide a solution for the following problem. I have a BluRay disc encoded with DTS HD Master Audio. When played thru may PS3 (bitstreamed) connected to an Onkyo tx-nr609 everything works fine and the Onkyo displays DTS HD Master Audio. When I create a mkv file from the disc and stream it from the PC using DivX Player (with HD plugin) to the PS3 there is no audio track. Playing the file on the PC is fine.

The file contains 3 audio streams:

Stream1
DTS Audio(dts)
Channels: 3F2R/LFE
Sample Rate: 48000Hz
Bitrate: 1536 kb/s

Stream 2
DTS Audio (dts)
Description: Surround 5.1

Stream 3
DTS Audio (dts)
Description: Surround 5.1

Any insight greatly appreciated.
Woodstock

Re: No Audio from Blu Ray Disc

Post by Woodstock »

The problem is that the PS3 doesn't support the audio codec. It's situations like this that prompted the inclusion of audio recoding in MakeMKV. But sometimes you don't want to have the audio recoded... so it isn't the default behavior.

The MKV file contains the audio stream, but somewhere in your chain of programs and devices, the raw stream isn't making it to the Onkyo, which is the device that understands the codec. If DivX is converting the MKV file to something the PS3 supports, I'd say it's probably the culprit.

If you have not done so already, you can activate the Advanced features by setting Expert mode ON in the Preferences->General menu. That will allow you to select alternate profiles, one of which is named FLAC. It will recode most forms of DTS audio to the more supported FAAC codec.

Or, you can run the MKV files through handbrake (visit handbrake.fr), which allows more control over what happens with the audio.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging