"Posix error"

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
N1234

"Posix error"

Post by N1234 »

For about the last month MakeMKV will not complete the process and 0 files are copied. Below is the error I keep getting.

Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Makemkv on several occasions, however the error keeps occuring

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Woodstock

Re: "Posix error"

Post by Woodstock »

Such errors are the operating system saying the disk drive stopped talking to it. Why did it stop talking? That is the key... MakeMKV can't do much without the drive responding.

When was the last time you did a power-down reset of the computer?

If the drive is external, and you tried removing it, then adding it back in?

Does the issue affect only one type of disk? That is, can it read a CD, DVD, or Bluray, just one or two of those, or all disk types fail?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Kalico

Re: "Posix error"

Post by Kalico »

Hi All (newbie here and a general techie, not an expert),

This may or may not help you. I was getting the same errors, which made it look like the DVD could not be read. I'm on version 1.10.2 (October 2016).

My DVD drive is external to the PD (I'm running Ubuntu). It is USB powered.

I had the data USB plugged into a USB3 port (sometimes called SuperSpeed and marked SS - at least it is on my Dell server). Power coming from the USB2 port. I assumed that a USB3 port would be somehow more reliable or faster (even slightly, though the external DVD drive is USB2).

Anyway, I got loads of the "Posix Errors" and tried changing the data port to the USB2 one. I also removed the mouse from another USB3 port. Not sure if that made a difference or not, but it has now pulled the MKV file from the DVD with just perfectly.

Hope that helps someone.