Pretty little Liars Season 3 Disc #2 Missing Episode 4

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
funhouse69

Pretty little Liars Season 3 Disc #2 Missing Episode 4

Post by funhouse69 »

I haven't seen this listed before and I did some searching with no hits so hopefully this hasn't already been reported but I am ripping my DVD Collection and when I put in the Pretty Little Liars Season 3 Disc #2 it only "Finds" 4 Episodes but when you play the DVD it shows 5 and all 5 of them play.

Interestingly enough I started up DVD Fab Version 8 and it shows all 5 Episodes each with similar sizes.

Also worth mentioning that Season 3 gives me the message saying that these discs were created with DVD Fab when these are clearly pressed discs from a sealed retail pack.

Again this was US / Retail Version.

I tried the latest version of MakeMKV which is 1.8.11 for Windows and I tried two older versions as well with the same result. Is there a way to work around this within the Make MKV Software itself? I don't want to have to use two different programs if at all possible.
Woodstock

Re: Pretty little Liars Season 3 Disc #2 Missing Episode 4

Post by Woodstock »

First step would be to follow the instructions in the FAQ linked in my signature, and sending the requested information to Mike.

Most likely cause is a quirk in the way the disk is mastered. I had the same problem with a couple of other disks in the past, and getting the information to Mike allowed him to create work-arounds for the problems.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cowgod

Re: Pretty little Liars Season 3 Disc #2 Missing Episode 4

Post by cowgod »

I realize this thread is almost 6 years old, but I have relevant information to add to it in case someone else runs into this same problem, as I just did. It grinds my gears when you search Google for a problem and find a forum thread with your exact issue and no solution, so I am providing one now.

Whoever authored the discs for Pretty Little Liars made the job of ripping the episodes a colossal pain in the neck. I ran into this same issue on multiple discs in the series. That being said, there is a solution.

Let's examine the disc OP mentioned, Season 3 Disc 2.

When you open the disc regularly, you are presented with 4 "main" titles, comprising 4 episodes. If you look at the episode guide for the disc, there should be 5. What's going on?

First, rip those 4 episodes as normal. If you view them, you will see that they correspond to Season 3 Episodes 6, 7, 9, and 10. We are missing Episode 8.

With the disc still in your drive, in MakeMKV select File->Open DVD files manually, then navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder of the disc in your drive and select the VIDEO_TS.ISO file. MakeMKV will question your sanity and ask if you meant to open the disc using the "Open disc" command, but we do not want that, so select "No." In a moment or two, you should be presented with title information for the whole disc. If you look closely, you will see that there is our missing episode in the list, with 10 chapters. I will highlight it below:

Disc Information
Label : WARNER_HOME_VIDEO (Fab8130)
Titles count : 13

Title information
1: 1/1 - 46 chapter(s) 3:41:35 50 cell(s)
2: 1/2 - 1 chapter(s) 0:00:00 1 cell(s)
3: 1/3 - 10 chapter(s) 0:44:24 10 cell(s)
4: 1/4 - 10 chapter(s) 0:44:24 10 cell(s)
5: 1/5 - 10 chapter(s) 0:44:22 10 cell(s) <---- this one is not listed using the "Open disc" command
6: 1/6 - 10 chapter(s) 0:44:13 10 cell(s)
7: 1/7 - 10 chapter(s) 0:44:12 10 cell(s)
8: 1/8 - 2 chapter(s) 0:00:41 2 cell(s)
9: 1/9 - 3 chapter(s) 0:02:27 4 cell(s)
10: 1/10 - 2 chapter(s) 0:00:32 2 cell(s)
11: 1/11 - 2 chapter(s) 0:01:09 2 cell(s)
12: 1/12 - 6 chapter(s) 0:04:50 10 cell(s)
13: 2/1 - 2 chapter(s) 0:00:11 2 cell(s)

If you run into this issue on other discs in the series (I have only ripped through season 3 so far, but S3 Disc 4 has the same problem, and I'm sure there will be more in later seasons), you will need to figure out which episode is the correct one that you are missing. I did this by comparing the 4 that I ripped correctly in the first step with the 5 that are on the disc using my DVD player.

So, in the dialog that is now open, you need to tell MakeMKV that you want the 5th title on the disc to be ripped. You can see that it is 10 chapters, so in the text box, you need to enter "5:1-10". Once you enter that (without quotes) and press OK, you will be able to rip that episode.

Hope this helps!

P.S. It's incredibly annoying that they never released this show on Bluray...